Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The old man

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    You guys are lucky to have a relationship with your dad, I never knew mine since he and my mother divorced when I was 2. I guess I still hold that against her after all these years. Pretty selfish of me but something inside me just won't let it go.

seeing the way some families stay together ( for the kids ) she probably did you a favor.

No one ever leaves the world alive, so we might as well have some fun

And

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end the faster it goes

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    My father and some of his buddies would meet Sunday mornings at the river and fish for three or four hours. They rarely caught anything... but that didn't matter they just sat around and BS'ed. When my oldest was little I would bring him down to fish with gramps. Well one day the two of them are pulling in a sun fish ...
    That's a great visual - my wife's dad did the same for my boys when they were younger, as my grandfather did for me. Your story put me right back on Lake Henshaw, pulling in perch while my grandfather laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    My mom and dad live next door and we both work for the same company. Together me and him have 45 years together there. He just turned 55 Christmas day. Opposite of vmc my mom is the one that is sick, on oxygen etc. She has been sick for awhile.

Sorry to hear that................

There's nothing like MOM and DAD

I wish I had just 10 more minutes with either.........

Jeezuz, this thread is sad!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

I miss my dad. god rest his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Jeezuz, this thread is sad!
    No.......It's a celebration of Life.............

My dad was tough on me growing up, he would turn off the hot water to the shower if I was in there over three minutes, made me rake leaves up in the snow after I told him it would be done the day before and a thousand other things along the same lines. He made me work if I wanted a new bike or money to run around with from the age of 12 on. He traveled alot when I was young, he would get home Friday night and be back on the road Sunday nightto be at the customers place monday morning on time. He found time to take me fishing an other stuff when he could. He got sick in his later years and had to stop traveling and work close to home. Close to the end came down with alzheimers. I had to go over one night and take his car away from him, I'll never forget it. He didn't know what was going on anymore. A couple of months later he died of a heart attack while riding in the car with my mom.That was in 04 and my mom just passed away last summer, cleaned out their house this summer and fall and got it rented out. Losing parents is tough , I'll go several days and not think about it and then see some thing that reminds me of them. It can make me laugh, feel sad or just look back on all the times I had with them , good and bad.
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
    My dad was tough on me growing up, he would turn off the hot water to the shower if I was in there over three minutes, made me rake leaves up in the snow after I told him it would be done the day before and a thousand other things along the same lines. He made me work if I wanted a new bike or money to run around with from the age of 12 on. He traveled alot when I was young, he would get home Friday night and be back on the road Sunday nightto be at the customers place monday morning on time. He found time to take me fishing an other stuff when he could. He got sick in his later years and had to stop traveling and work close to home. Close to the end came down with alzheimers. I had to go over one night and take his car away from him, I'll never forget it. He didn't know what was going on anymore. A couple of months later he died of a heart attack while riding in the car with my mom.That was in 04 and my mom just passed away last summer, cleaned out their house this summer and fall and got it rented out. Losing parents is tough , I'll go several days and not think about it and then see some thing that reminds me of them. It can make me laugh, feel sad or just look back on all the times I had with them , good and bad.
    Jay, I hate to be this way but he was lucky if he was stricken with Alzheimers, even though I know it wont make you feel any better. Both my great grandparents were diagnosed with alzheimers around 1986. My great grandpa died of urinic poisoning(urine in your blood) around '90, he was actually the lucky one. My great grandma lived until '02 with it, I saw all the stages and she was fixing to have to have a shunt put in her stomach so she could eat when she died. I believe in God but I also believe that if I get old and get diagnosed with alzheimers and in the beginning stages know I have it I will take myself out. I couldnt bare living through it and the affects it would have on my children and future grand children.

Sorry to go OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Jay, I hate to be this way but he was lucky if he was stricken with Alzheimers, even though I know it wont make you feel any better. Both my great grandparents were diagnosed with alzheimers around 1986. My great grandpa died of urinic poisoning(urine in your blood) around '90, he was actually the lucky one. My great grandma lived until '02 with it, I saw all the stages and she was fixing to have to have a shunt put in her stomach so she could eat when she died. I believe in God but I also believe that if I get old and get diagnosed with alzheimers and in the beginning stages know I have it I will take myself out. I couldnt bare living through it and the affects it would have on my children and future grand children.

Sorry to go OT.
    I hear ya. My dad had Alzheimers, and we had to put him in a facility when my mother in Florida couldn't properly take care of him. He was getting pretty bad, when he died of a heart attack, about 7 years ago. I think it was best he went when he did, instead of turning into a total vegetable. Seeing his old set of golf clubs in their garage really got to me.

I take after my dad so much, I'm certain Alzheimers is in my future as well. I would probably take myself out when I knew there was no hope, and while I still had some control.

My father died when I was eleven so I really never what a father was like.
    When I had a chance to hire my son for my business. We worked side by side daily for 6 years.
    I learned it was not necessary to be the father anymore and time to become friends. We're best friends. Working together every day was a blessing. We finally got to know each other.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    My father died when I was eleven so I really never what a father was like.
    When I had a chance to hire my son for my business. We worked side by side daily for 6 years.
    I learned it was not necessary to be the father anymore and time to become friends. We're best friends. Working together every day was a blessing. We finally got to know each other.
    Man.......that's nice...............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12