Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old man

The old man

The old guy was over for xmas. Something was bothering me the whole time he was here and I couldn't put my finger on it. It's been about a year since I seen him last.

We spent some good time together. I am grateful for the time. My old man is as unique as anything. He is indescribable. Frugal to the nth degree, but has some money. A little twisted on politics. A lot twisted. Hard as nails in his views and tougher than superglue. I bet you he sill thinks he could kick Mike Tysons a$$. LOL.

I aint perfect, and I get lazy, and careless and what not. But I could survive anything that comes my way because of his influence. He's a unique guy.

I figured out what was bothering me. And this was really nawing at me for the last couple of weeks since he went home. Here it is. He's gray, he's a fit and trim older version of himself. I see age in him. I see the aches and pains and I see the little signs he's becoming an old man. I have never seen him in a reduced capacity till now. It has really hit me. It's a thing where you just realize life will take it's course.

It was sort of a premonition to me. It said "get off your a$$ and get to it" Start living.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

I lost my father in 04 miss him dearly then lost my mom 5 months 26 days later been falling apart ever since

When you first notice your father's mortality it is hard to take. When he has always been superman. Enjoy every minute you can with him. If you are close to him, it will be tough when he is gone. Ask all the questions about family history or his life. If there is something you want to tell him, say it. Let him know what he has meant to you. Dont be embarrassed. Im telling you this because I waited too long to tell my dad some of those things.

I'm sure he was a Good guy..........So......

..............You saw yourself in a mirror................. time to get on living.....D's

it sucks to watch him age.....

worked for my father from the time i was 10 yrs old until he retired 15 years ago at 57 yrs old.
    our shop is on the same property as my parents house so i see them every day unless they are traveling.
    my father was diagnosed with parkinsons about 2 yrs ago and even with the treatments i can see the toll it is taking.

just grateful i do get to see them every day and can be there to give him a hand on projects around the house when he needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    ..............You saw yourself in a mirror................. time to get on living.....D's
    Exactly! A mirror image. For all the teen years we told ourselves we're nothing like them...

My father is 81 and has probably done more living in the past 5 years than he has in his entire life. My mother was sick from her mid 30s and dad with all his loyalty and self-discipline took care of her until her passing in late 2001. Since then he found a lady friend in an old family friend on my wife's side, full of p & v and has been seeing the world. Singapore & Malaysia for 2-3 weeks at the end of this month. All the best to a man who deserves it. Go Dad Go!!!
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

I look in the mirror with pride, for i see him in me. I love my dad, he has been the best friend i have ever had. I couldnt imagine what it would be like without him in my life, i even hate the thought of it. I cherish all the time i spend with him, from doin projects around the house, to just sittin around watchin tv. There is not a person in the world that can replace your father, so love the one you have.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

Been without my dad for 11 years, and it's never going to be the same without him.
    On the topic, here is a recent link to an article from someone whose dad just passed maybe a couple of months prior to the article.
    It's about the layers of a cake, and generations--You, your Dad, your Granddad.

P.S. The article is quite long. He is usually a long author, but maybe the author was even more wordy since he knows he is one layer of the cake closer to being finished.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

man this thread is so true...... im gonna call my dad right now..........

My father and some of his buddies would meet Sunday mornings at the river and fish for three or four hours. They rarely caught anything... but that didn't matter they just sat around and BS'ed. When my oldest was little I would bring him down to fish with gramps. Well one day the two of them are pulling in a sun fish and it just hit me ... my dad is old ... I just kind of stood there stunned ... a wave of sadness came over me ... to this day it bothers me when I think of that day. My dad past four years ago I miss him everyday.

gruntly, my mother took care of my dad who was not well the last ten years, good days bad days. She now gets around and is doing OK.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

You guys are lucky to have a relationship with your dad, I never knew mine since he and my mother divorced when I was 2. I guess I still hold that against her after all these years. Pretty selfish of me but something inside me just won't let it go.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    You guys are lucky to have a relationship with your dad, I never knew mine since he and my mother divorced when I was 2. I guess I still hold that against her after all these years. Pretty selfish of me but something inside me just won't let it go.

When I was a teenager there were a few years I wish I did not know him ... ... a few years later I realized how lucky I was I did. Sorry to hear about your not knowing your dad. Best wishes for the future.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

My mom and dad live next door and we both work for the same company. Together me and him have 45 years together there. He just turned 55 Christmas day. Opposite of vmc my mom is the one that is sick, on oxygen etc. She has been sick for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast