Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

173,000 retail stores to close in 2009

NBC reported this in the beginning of the week along with Macy's closing 11 stores and the jobs lost.the ripple effect into our industry is a result of a slow Christmas season in sales.national accounts are going to look closer at how service is performed,and call backs are going to get real interesting with companies having to take the hit on time spent and not billable to them.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

it's like the end of the world.

we had 2 jobs get pushed back in December....and "lost" 19,000 man hours. we are down to foreman a couple journeymen and apprentices.

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    it's like the end of the world.

we had 2 jobs get pushed back in December....and "lost" 19,000 man hours. we are down to foreman a couple journeymen and apprentices.
    Couple of J's and apprentices? what happened to 73's ratios?

we're within ratios.

2 journeymen
    6 foremen
    4 apprentices

Well, all I can say, is when things start to grow again there is going to be a big need for HVAC guys to work on or replace those neglected units.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by zzonko View Post
    Couple of J's and apprentices? what happened to 73's ratios?
    73's ratios? That is a new term for me. What does it mean?

CE
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    NBC reported this in the beginning of the week along with Macy's closing 11 stores and the jobs lost.the ripple effect into our industry is a result of a slow Christmas season in sales.national accounts are going to look closer at how service is performed,and call backs are going to get real interesting with companies having to take the hit on time spent and not billable to them.
    I wonder how many retail stores closed each year for the last 10 years.

MSM tends to forget to show the trends.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    73's ratios? That is a new term for me. What does it mean?

CE
    There's supposed to be x journeymen for y apprentices. Some union contract required ratio.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I've had some of my customers close and several are in the process of closing down. There are several new customers coming online with us but, I have no idea how billing and such is going to work out but, I'm thinking that we shouldn't have too much trouble. I hope.
    Right now, with the state of the economy, I'm doing real good if I can get 20 hours a week and our customers aren't calling for service as much as they had been.
    Guess I've been doing my job a little too good.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

not looking too good for 09......kinda scary to think there is now millions of new unemployed people.

Not many problems here, none of the Macys are shutting down in Louisiana. Dont believe the hype, the news is going to constantly talk doom and gloom to get you to watch it. The news media controls alot of what goes on in this country and this post is a prime example. Once they get everyone in an "Oh my God" mindset the government can do about anything they want.

Just remember why businesses are shutting down-bad business decisions and bad laws by our government. Search for the Community Reinvestment Act on Youtube. Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, multiple banks, the big 3, Circuit City, Tweeter. Please do some researching yourself and dont feed the fears started by the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Not many problems here, none of the Macys are shutting down in Louisiana. Dont believe the hype, the news is going to constantly talk doom and gloom to get you to watch it. The news media controls alot of what goes on in this country and this post is a prime example. Once they get everyone in an "Oh my God" mindset the government can do about anything they want.

Just remember why businesses are shutting down-bad business decisions and bad laws by our government. Search for the Community Reinvestment Act on Youtube. Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, multiple banks, the big 3, Circuit City, Tweeter. Please do some researching yourself and dont feed the fears started by the media.
    hype???
    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    According to the report the recession started in December of 2007, and SINCE THAT TIME unemployment has gone up by 3.6 million. 3.6 million divided by 12 is 300,000 so the last few months have been slightly above average. Labor statistics also show total unemployment hit 11.1 million. 3.6 million minus 11.1 million so there were already 7.5 million people unemployed, twice the number of this past year. Also the report doesnt give any reason to how many of the jobs are linked to the banking problems or how many are just regular unemployments.

Take Circuit City for instance, they have been on the verge of shutting down for a few years now but with the banking problems they couldnt hold out any longer. Those jobs would be lost no matter it just so happens they now decided to close instead of 2 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast