Digital TV change over

Obama team urges Congress to delay digital TV transition date past Feb. 17
    http://start.localnet.com/article.ph...D95J5TEG0.html

So, when would they wanna make the new date? People that still aren't ready probably won't be ready given another year even--this has been put off once before if I remember correctly and it seems there's been PLENTY of information out there about it for the last 18 months or so. Walmart is now selling the converters for less ($29.99) than the coupon price ($39.99). I personally know of two people that got the coupons and didn't look at the expiration date which is now way passed. Seems like they should free up the funds of any coupon that has expired without use and reissue to those that didn't get them. If we wait for every household in America to be ready for this transition then it will never happen. Kind of like couples waiting until they can afford to have kids.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Good to see that he's really focused already on real important national issues......
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

He wants to make sure all the poor people who voted for him can see him on TV.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why law makers found it necessary to legally require the change?
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    Can someone please enlighten me as to why law makers found it necessary to legally require the change?
    In part it has to do with the FCC allocating broadcast frequencies. They're wanting to free up the old TV band for other uses.

it reminds me of when Australia went metric in the (I think) early 70's. One of the arguments from the anti metric side was to wait till all the old people who grew up in the imperial system died.
    Once the analog TV frequencies are freed up the government can make a killing selling of licenses for the now vacant bandwidth.
    Aus is soon to go all digital and some pundits are arguing that the change over date could be bought forward if the government gave away digital settop boxes to who ever wanted one and still turn a huge profit.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002