+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does GPA factor into hiring?

Post Likes

Smile How does GPA factor into hiring?

I am halfway through my AAS degree in HVAC. I just finished the residential half with a 4.0gpa. I have finished all of my general and elective classes and had all A's with the exception of one B (Writing & Research, agh! I hated that class, I'm never going to be a writer anyway). Currently I have a cumulative gpa of 3.91. I am going to try like hell to finish the commercial half with a 4.0 as well.

My question is...How much does the GPA factor into an employer hiring me? I won't be applying for at least another six months, but I'm really getting antsy about finding an employer (I really enjoy HVAC, and can't wait to start working). I have 2 1/2 years previous HVAC experience as well, I installed residential HVAC until the economy went to hell and I got laid off. Will a 4.0GPA guarantee me a job? Some of my classmates struggle to get D's and C's, it's kind of sad. I feel sorry for the equipment some of these people will be working on. Any info is appreciated!

Post Likes
    I wouldn't expect to get a job just because I have good grades and a degree

All it shows employers is that you're eager to excel in this career

Post Likes
    It depends where you apply at.
    Some won't give it too much consideration, others will.

Your 2 plus years previous experience will have more to do with getting hired at many places though.

Post Likes

ditto

It depends where you apply at.
    Some won't give it too much consideration, others will.

Your 2 plus years previous experience will have more to do with getting hired at many places though.
    School is important, but is no substitute for experience. We require both.

Post Likes
    the guys with the Cs and Ds will be your supervisors in about 10 years,they will read the manuals after they get the unit going..there the ones with their knuckles draggin' on the ground when they walk around the shop.weren't doing brain surgery here.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    the guys with the Cs and Ds will be your supervisors in about 10 years,they will read the manuals after they get the unit going..there the ones with their knuckles draggin' on the ground when they walk around the shop.weren't doing brain surgery here.
    The only thing these people will be supervising is the fry station at McDonalds.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grewya20 View Post
    I am halfway through my AAS degree in HVAC. I just finished the residential half with a 4.0gpa. I have finished all of my general and elective classes and had all A's with the exception of one B (Writing & Research, agh! I hated that class, I'm never going to be a writer anyway). Currently I have a cumulative gpa of 3.91. I am going to try like hell to finish the commercial half with a 4.0 as well.

My question is...How much does the GPA factor into an employer hiring me? I won't be applying for at least another six months, but I'm really getting antsy about finding an employer (I really enjoy HVAC, and can't wait to start working). I have 2 1/2 years previous HVAC experience as well, I installed residential HVAC until the economy went to hell and I got laid off. Will a 4.0GPA guarantee me a job? Some of my classmates struggle to get D's and C's, it's kind of sad. I feel sorry for the equipment some of these people will be working on. Any info is appreciated!
    ahh shiat, here goes another, "what can i expect if im nate certified?" "what can i get if i went to class every day?" "What pay rate should i ask for since i passed all those test i took on the internet?"

since you have 2-1/2 years experience then you should know it aint going to get you shiat. The only thing i can think off that the degree will help you on is years down the road it will help you get into management.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Post Likes
    If your school monitors attendance, get a record of this if it is in the upper 90% range.

Most employers would rather hire a B or C student with excellent attendance than an A student with poor attendance.

School habits usually carry over to work!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes

Thumbs up AAS importance

Your AAS will open a lot of doors for you. Most employers won't ask for a transcript however some of the best will. Then your gpa will help you. I got my AAS in 1980 and I have never had a employer check attendance. The AAS tells a employer that you know the basic concepts and theories and that you have the drive to see a project through. You won't ever regret getting your degree. In this business we are constantly getting more certifications. Manufacturers and customers are requiring them. Employers will know that you can handle the schools and the tests. Never turn down an oppurtunity to get another certification.

Post Likes
    grewya20

The only thing these people will be supervising is the fry station at McDonalds.

I believe it, straight A's are not easy, I am in for my ME and mainting a 3.2 but a 4.0 is out of the question.

Good Job, and the right employer will be the only one that cares about a 4.0.
    Keep looking till you find one.

Post Likes

AAS importance

Don't be discouraged there are plenty of good employers out there. Learn to write well and pay attention to spelling. You will be writing some kind of reports or invoices throughout your career. Employers look for people that can write and spell.
    Good Luck

Post Likes
    refereker

Writing and spelling is my weakest link and it is the subject of give the least of amount of time. English is my wifes second launguge and she proofreads my reports for school. My grammar sucks but I guesse that is why I am still in school.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by white6294 View Post
    refereker

Writing and spelling is my weakest link and it is the subject of give the least of amount of time. English is my wifes second launguge and she proofreads my reports for school. My grammar sucks but I guesse that is why I am still in school.

Thanks for the advice.
    hehe, I have the same problem.'can't write good English'. For god know what ever reason, I can not master English. Fortunately, many of my customer don't know English. So I got away with it. Oh...It help if you can write Chinese. they understand that. hehe
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    If your school monitors attendance, get a record of this if it is in the upper 90% range.

Most employers would rather hire a B or C student with excellent attendance than an A student with poor attendance.

School habits usually carry over to work!

I Agree 100%
    If you help others then you are a Success

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan wong View Post
    hehe, I have the same problem.'can't write good English'. For god know what ever reason, I can not master English. Fortunately, many of my customer don't know English. So I got away with it. Oh...It help if you can write Chinese. they understand that. hehe
    i can read, write and speak chinese, but my english not very good

Post Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vq40de View Post
    i can read, write and speak chinese, but my english not very good
    Join the Club !
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Post Likes
    School and certifications show us that you are not just looking for a paycheck. Experience, reliability, work ethic and TRUSTWORTHINESS are traits I look for that you won't learn in school.

Post Likes
    I have an AAS in HVAC and ran my own contracting business for 15 years.

The GPA is a benchmark that holds (IMO) about a 10-15% weight when looking at new hires. Technical school, like any other school, is mostly about passing tests and studying the subjects that the state has deemed important for the degree. If the curriculum was more hands on based than book learning you're ahead of the game when it comes to developing a resume that can highlight your continued education beyond your couple of years of work experience in the field.

I hired 2 people with AAS's, both with almost identical GPA's (~3.6). One couldn't wire a simple thermostat after 3 months of on the job training (he went to work for the competition ) and the other one was running a crew, designing and selling complicated industrial systems and was inline for me to set him up in his own satellite shop at the other end of the county in less than a year. That was until a drunk driver killed him on his way home from work one night.

A resume that includes "I went to school and got this nice degree" and spent my free time partying ......
    compared to one that has.........
    "I went to school and got this nice degree, and spent all my free time working for local HVAC companies (or any other job that gained you relevant experience) so that I could be an emmediate asset to your company"

Who would you hire?

A degree or certification will "usually" not outweigh documented and verifiyable work experience when it has to stand alone.

You need to get a handle on the writting etc.. Handing in invoices or job reports that your supervisors and those above them have trouble understanding will have the potential effect of setting a mental imagine in their minds of your technical limits also. Fair or not this can easily limit your ability to advance or even get pay raises.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Low GPA + not politically connected = you might get hired but are given grunt work, and when you put the grunt work you did on your resume your next company will also give you grunt work.

High GPA + not politically connected = ?

High/low GPA + politically connected = White House, if you want

Fake degree + politically connected = White House possible

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in