Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    If your school monitors attendance, get a record of this if it is in the upper 90% range.

Most employers would rather hire a B or C student with excellent attendance than an A student with poor attendance.

School habits usually carry over to work!

I Agree 100%
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by dan wong View Post
    hehe, I have the same problem.'can't write good English'. For god know what ever reason, I can not master English. Fortunately, many of my customer don't know English. So I got away with it. Oh...It help if you can write Chinese. they understand that. hehe
    i can read, write and speak chinese, but my english not very good

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vq40de View Post
    i can read, write and speak chinese, but my english not very good
    Join the Club !
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

School and certifications show us that you are not just looking for a paycheck. Experience, reliability, work ethic and TRUSTWORTHINESS are traits I look for that you won't learn in school.

I have an AAS in HVAC and ran my own contracting business for 15 years.

The GPA is a benchmark that holds (IMO) about a 10-15% weight when looking at new hires. Technical school, like any other school, is mostly about passing tests and studying the subjects that the state has deemed important for the degree. If the curriculum was more hands on based than book learning you're ahead of the game when it comes to developing a resume that can highlight your continued education beyond your couple of years of work experience in the field.

I hired 2 people with AAS's, both with almost identical GPA's (~3.6). One couldn't wire a simple thermostat after 3 months of on the job training (he went to work for the competition ) and the other one was running a crew, designing and selling complicated industrial systems and was inline for me to set him up in his own satellite shop at the other end of the county in less than a year. That was until a drunk driver killed him on his way home from work one night.

A resume that includes "I went to school and got this nice degree" and spent my free time partying ......
    compared to one that has.........
    "I went to school and got this nice degree, and spent all my free time working for local HVAC companies (or any other job that gained you relevant experience) so that I could be an emmediate asset to your company"

Who would you hire?

A degree or certification will "usually" not outweigh documented and verifiyable work experience when it has to stand alone.

You need to get a handle on the writting etc.. Handing in invoices or job reports that your supervisors and those above them have trouble understanding will have the potential effect of setting a mental imagine in their minds of your technical limits also. Fair or not this can easily limit your ability to advance or even get pay raises.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Low GPA + not politically connected = you might get hired but are given grunt work, and when you put the grunt work you did on your resume your next company will also give you grunt work.

High GPA + not politically connected = ?

High/low GPA + politically connected = White House, if you want

Fake degree + politically connected = White House possible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12