Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How does GPA factor into hiring?

I am halfway through my AAS degree in HVAC. I just finished the residential half with a 4.0gpa. I have finished all of my general and elective classes and had all A's with the exception of one B (Writing & Research, agh! I hated that class, I'm never going to be a writer anyway). Currently I have a cumulative gpa of 3.91. I am going to try like hell to finish the commercial half with a 4.0 as well.

My question is...How much does the GPA factor into an employer hiring me? I won't be applying for at least another six months, but I'm really getting antsy about finding an employer (I really enjoy HVAC, and can't wait to start working). I have 2 1/2 years previous HVAC experience as well, I installed residential HVAC until the economy went to hell and I got laid off. Will a 4.0GPA guarantee me a job? Some of my classmates struggle to get D's and C's, it's kind of sad. I feel sorry for the equipment some of these people will be working on. Any info is appreciated!

I wouldn't expect to get a job just because I have good grades and a degree

All it shows employers is that you're eager to excel in this career

It depends where you apply at.
    Some won't give it too much consideration, others will.

Your 2 plus years previous experience will have more to do with getting hired at many places though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ditto

It depends where you apply at.
    Some won't give it too much consideration, others will.

Your 2 plus years previous experience will have more to do with getting hired at many places though.
    School is important, but is no substitute for experience. We require both.

the guys with the Cs and Ds will be your supervisors in about 10 years,they will read the manuals after they get the unit going..there the ones with their knuckles draggin' on the ground when they walk around the shop.weren't doing brain surgery here.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    the guys with the Cs and Ds will be your supervisors in about 10 years,they will read the manuals after they get the unit going..there the ones with their knuckles draggin' on the ground when they walk around the shop.weren't doing brain surgery here.
    The only thing these people will be supervising is the fry station at McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by grewya20 View Post
    I am halfway through my AAS degree in HVAC. I just finished the residential half with a 4.0gpa. I have finished all of my general and elective classes and had all A's with the exception of one B (Writing & Research, agh! I hated that class, I'm never going to be a writer anyway). Currently I have a cumulative gpa of 3.91. I am going to try like hell to finish the commercial half with a 4.0 as well.

My question is...How much does the GPA factor into an employer hiring me? I won't be applying for at least another six months, but I'm really getting antsy about finding an employer (I really enjoy HVAC, and can't wait to start working). I have 2 1/2 years previous HVAC experience as well, I installed residential HVAC until the economy went to hell and I got laid off. Will a 4.0GPA guarantee me a job? Some of my classmates struggle to get D's and C's, it's kind of sad. I feel sorry for the equipment some of these people will be working on. Any info is appreciated!
    ahh shiat, here goes another, "what can i expect if im nate certified?" "what can i get if i went to class every day?" "What pay rate should i ask for since i passed all those test i took on the internet?"

since you have 2-1/2 years experience then you should know it aint going to get you shiat. The only thing i can think off that the degree will help you on is years down the road it will help you get into management.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

If your school monitors attendance, get a record of this if it is in the upper 90% range.

Most employers would rather hire a B or C student with excellent attendance than an A student with poor attendance.

School habits usually carry over to work!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Thumbs up AAS importance

Your AAS will open a lot of doors for you. Most employers won't ask for a transcript however some of the best will. Then your gpa will help you. I got my AAS in 1980 and I have never had a employer check attendance. The AAS tells a employer that you know the basic concepts and theories and that you have the drive to see a project through. You won't ever regret getting your degree. In this business we are constantly getting more certifications. Manufacturers and customers are requiring them. Employers will know that you can handle the schools and the tests. Never turn down an oppurtunity to get another certification.

grewya20

The only thing these people will be supervising is the fry station at McDonalds.

I believe it, straight A's are not easy, I am in for my ME and mainting a 3.2 but a 4.0 is out of the question.

Good Job, and the right employer will be the only one that cares about a 4.0.
    Keep looking till you find one.

AAS importance

Don't be discouraged there are plenty of good employers out there. Learn to write well and pay attention to spelling. You will be writing some kind of reports or invoices throughout your career. Employers look for people that can write and spell.
    Good Luck

refereker

Writing and spelling is my weakest link and it is the subject of give the least of amount of time. English is my wifes second launguge and she proofreads my reports for school. My grammar sucks but I guesse that is why I am still in school.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by white6294 View Post
    refereker

Writing and spelling is my weakest link and it is the subject of give the least of amount of time. English is my wifes second launguge and she proofreads my reports for school. My grammar sucks but I guesse that is why I am still in school.

Thanks for the advice.
    hehe, I have the same problem.'can't write good English'. For god know what ever reason, I can not master English. Fortunately, many of my customer don't know English. So I got away with it. Oh...It help if you can write Chinese. they understand that. hehe
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast