Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrier Chiller, Low Suction Superheat, headache!!! EXV VALVE??

Hello,

I have an 80 ton Carrier Chiller. Model 30GTN080-920. I keep getting the T114 alarm. This is written on the manual:
    Circuit A Low Suction
    Superheat
    If EXV is greater than
    10%, and either suction
    superheat is less than
    19 F (10.6 C) or saturated
    suction temperature is
    greater than MOP for
    5 minutes
    Circuit A shutdown
    after pumpdown
    complete.
    Automatic restart
    after first daily
    occurrence. Manual
    restart thereafter.
    Faulty expansion valve
    or EXV board, faulty
    suction gas thermistor
    (T7) or cooler thermistor
    (T5).

I have just taken the oil to the compressors, the oil was veryyyy thin, mostly because it has been a long time since an oil change. The oil had no metal dust, so assume that the compressor should be ok. The oil was red due to a red dye, put 1 year ago. Besides this I'll pull out all the refrigerant to make a vacuum and leave the circuit like new.

The thermistors seems to be ok. The EXV board should be ok too, because the circuit B works fine. The cooler (flow of water) I think is also ok, again because circuit B works fine.

So everything leads me to the EXV Valve:
    VALVE ASY,EXV(STD,CKT A) Part N 32GB402554

What do you think? If the EXV valve is faulty, is there a repair kit or something like that? Because it costs nearly one thousand bugs.

You guys are the genius, so please help me find the solution. Maybe is not the exv valve maybe it is..... you'll know

When the first compressor starts, sound like it's pumping liquid for the first minute.

if you have the old dome style exv there is no rebuild kit and if you replace it it will be with the newer canister style. if you already have the newer style there is a rebuild kit...carrier p/n 30gt660010

Just because circuit B works fine dont assume that the board is ok. There is a easy way to test this, just think about it. I dont think it is within the rules here for me to tell you. Good luck.

mmm swapping the plugs and the thermistors.

Now go check chiller operation

I can't right now. Vacuum pump is on action. Meanwhile any other ideas?

With unit not running you should still be able to modulate the valves and trouble shoot the board. You'll need a meter that reads dc volts and the service book for your unit. Let me know how it turns out.

Hmm

Crised
    Is this chiller circuit the same one you had T051 a few days ago if so did you fix this problem. Have you fixed any of the problems you have on this site. If the circuit is tripping on low suction superheat why have you removed the refrigerant and put the circuit on a VACUUM.
    I think you should save yourself further grief and your customers time and money and just phone Manuel Carvajal at Carrier Santiago, these chiller problems would be found within a few hours of a Carrier engineer or any chiller engineer familar with this type of Carrier chiller looking at it and not several days that you have spent on it so far and you could probably get some training thrown in too to help you maintain them.

My principal assessor has been the boss of Manuel Carvajal. Yes I fixed the T051, as I wrote in the other thread. It was a small resistor, open. I've been saving lots of money without bringing a carrier technician.

I change the refrigerant, now the system is working fine! I hope it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by crised View Post
    I change the refrigerant, now the system is working fine! I hope it lasts.
    Why did you change the refrigerant? Why did you change/ add oil?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Confused

Yes why did you feel you needed to change the refrigerant. Was the refrigerant charge weight correct as per name plate when you removed it. or was it overcharged.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast