+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Heat Pump Help!

Post Likes
    If discharge was dumping into suction, both pressures would be close, but not high. There's no way suction and discharge could both hit 600.

2. Likes samgevas liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robber View Post
    Lets see ahh... R squared times pie thats right? right? So that is 7x7=49 times pie. pie =31.4 so that is 1,539. Good enough for the girls I date!
    π=3.14
    Just got it, Duh, it's a joke!
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi heatrix View Post
    sounds like he isnt hooked up to true suction.
    Sounds like we have a correct answer.
    To the OP, on a heat pump never hook your gauges low side to the 'suction' valve. Its only suction pressure in cooling mode, in heat mode its a high pressure vapor line. There is a low pressure port by itself above the service valves.
    Sounds like your also overcharged, check charge by subcooling.

5. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    LOL

The problem surfaced in post 16, and was answered in post 18. Now 25 posts later . . . Ah jeez, why do I bother.

Not that I've ever hooked up both hoses to the high side on a heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith46 View Post
    Sounds like we have a correct answer.
    To the OP, on a heat pump never hook your gauges low side to the 'suction' valve. Its only suction pressure in cooling mode, in heat mode its a high pressure vapor line. There is a low pressure port by itself above the service valves.
    Sounds like your also overcharged, check charge by subcooling.

7. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    LOL

The problem surfaced in post 16, and was answered in post 18. Now 25 posts later . . . Ah jeez, why do I bother.

Not that I've ever hooked up both hoses to the high side on a heat pump.
    The real problem is 25 posts after the right answer, the OP and everyone else didn't get it but you. Maybe you should have confirmed the correct answer. Just saying, not being a wise guy.

9. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah, your right. I should've driven to Kansas to confirm the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith46 View Post
    The real problem is 25 posts after the right answer, the OP and everyone else didn't get it but you. Maybe you should have confirmed the correct answer. Just saying, not being a wise guy.

11. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yeah, your right. I should've driven to Kansas to confirm the correct answer.
    Guessing I missed something??? What was the problem?? What was the fix??? IMO - someone that can successfully change out a RV- should know where to hook in manifold gauges???

13. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don't think we know yet. In my personal experience with heat pumps that run excessive head in heating it is due to lack of airflow across the indoor coil, over charge, or both. Usually both. Because in the summer, they need to over charge it to keep it from icing over.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1111 View Post
    Guessing I missed something??? What was the problem?? What was the fix??? IMO - someone that can successfully change out a RV- should know where to hook in manifold gauges???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mattshvac View Post
    I know how a heat pump works so I know where to hook up my gauges..
    Just quoteing

16. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah, I know. I saw that again when I went back and read a few posts. Just decided to push the keyboard away, didn't like adding more fuel to the fire. But since we're 'mixing oil and fire with a big stick', when you make a mistake, just man up and move on to get the problem resolved.

There was one possible discrepancy when I re-read some posts. The way he wrote it, or maybe just the way I read it, Matt may have been talking about equalization after shutting off. Didn't feel like getting bent over it, so I dropped it. Figured it'd come out in the wash. But hasn't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Just quoteing

Post Likes
    It has taken 50 post and still wrong. I am sorry to say guys but how can I be wrong if both of my hoses are hooked up at the king valves for one and two yes I have spent some time with this unit and I have check this unit at true suction and the high side as it is running in heat mode. I wish you would jump in your car and come to Kansas to prove me wrong BBeerme, Im not trying to be cocky but I have put myself out here for a bit of help and got slapped in the face. I guess I will know better next time. This unit is not over charged due to the simple fact I have pulled 100% of the freon out of this unit and used brand new freon and weight it back in.

Post Likes
    The unit will shut off after the high side gets to 550-600psig and the low side is right there behind it, so maybe I have typed it a little wrong but they do not rise at the same rate or speed.
    From the same post.
    Ok.... so what about the possibility he's refering to the scroll spinning backwards after shutdown ?

Post Likes
    OP - system running in cool- what is the SH & SC & outside temp??????

Post Likes
    The scroll is not spinning backwards, from the time the heat pump comes on in the heat cycle to the time it trips on high pressure is a total of about 60-120 secs. I know some else has mention maybe something is wrong with my gauges I am using? I don't think so they are about a year old and have never had one issue with them. Another issue someone mention is if the reversing valve was working properly? yes when the heat pump is in cool mode the reversing valve is energized with 24v and runs 100% normal, one more thing if BBeerme has solved this issue on the 16th post with me putting both the high and low side lines on both true suction and the suction side in heat mode then why is my heat pump still tripping on high pressure? sounds like there is more to it to me don't you think???

Post Likes
    Well, first off, I love the most difficult problems. Everyone I've worked with knows that.

Regarding the term 'King Valve', that is the valve that controls all. Meaning, decades ago, the King Valve was the liquid line service valve. Somewhere along the line, I have heard both valves where the piping 'leaves' the condensing unit on a split system called King Valves. Whatever. The point is that suction service valves were never called King Valves.

The point here is that terminology is important.

I've never taken your comments to be cocky.

BUT if both of your hoses are hooked up to the King Valves, and you call the service valves where the piping leaves the outdoor unit on a split system heat pump, then both of those King Valves in heat mode are high pressure.

You need to find the fitting between the suction on the compressor and the reversing valve to get the true suction.

It has taken 50 post and still wrong. I am sorry to say guys but how can I be wrong if both of my hoses are hooked up at the king valves for one and two yes I have spent some time with this unit and I have check this unit at true suction and the high side as it is running in heat mode. I wish you would jump in your car and come to Kansas to prove me wrong BBeerme, Im not trying to be cocky but I have put myself out here for a bit of help and got slapped in the face. I guess I will know better next time. This unit is not over charged due to the simple fact I have pulled 100% of the freon out of this unit and used brand new freon and weight it back in.

23. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I know where true suction is, it is the pipe leaving the compressor and meets at the middle of the reversing valve. We are both licensed Techs lets treat one another like we are. I ask for a little help and it seems like you want me to take you some pictures of what I am doing? not sure why?

Post Likes
    Okay, let's start at ground zero.

You said your high and low gauges were reading almost the same pressure at 550-600. Is this still true or not?

I know where true suction is, it is the pipe leaving the compressor and meets at the middle of the reversing valve. We are both licensed Techs lets treat one another like we are. I ask for a little help and it seems like you want me to take you some pictures of what I am doing? not sure why?

Post Likes
    Yes everything that I have stated about this issue with this heat pump have been true.

Post Likes
    That's just not possible, what's superheat and subcooling? Is the suction line hot or cold?

Post Likes
    And with your gauges tied to the ports they are, when you switch into cooling, the pressures are "relatively" normal ?

Yes everything that I have stated about this issue with this heat pump have been true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in