+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evap pan "Wick"??? Is that what its called?

Post Likes

Evap pan "Wick"??? Is that what its called?

... the material inside a drain pan, lets say on a Pizza Prep Station, thats supposed to help soak up and evap the drain water.

I can't find that item online anywhere.
    I must not be searching for the correct terms.
    Anyone have any idea?
    thx
    jaymer...

Post Likes
    It's called:
    Absorbent wick material, Wicking, or Condensate wick... it comes in differant sizes depending on the size of the pan you have. This doesn't go in the evaporator pan...maybe that was the problem
    a call to your Service Company should get you what you need
    If your not part of the solution, You must be part of the problem

Post Likes
    I know it doesn't go in the evap pan itself, but the drain tube on a True Pizza Prep station goes under the unit into a pan.
    There's a wick material that goes in there and thats what I cannot find online.

Most of the items I find via online searches are related to humidifiers (bemis, bionaire) or a metal filter for a hvac.

for example, a google search for "Absorbent wick material" finds only stuff related to candle/perfume wicks.

jaymer...

Post Likes
    can anyone suggest a place to buy this stuff on the internet?

Post Likes

wicking kit

JOHNSTONE SELLS THE KITS FOR TRUE REFERS WICH IS THE MOST POPULAR THAT IVE SEEN.TRY REFRIGERATION HARDWARE UNDER TRUE OR JUST GET RID OF IT AND PUT IN AN ELECTRIC PAN MADE BY SUPCO OR SEVERAL OTHERS. HOPE THIS HELPS
    http://www.rhsc.net/pdf_files/true.pdf

Post Likes

Smile evap pan wick

Probably any parts house you call will try to sell you a wick kit that will consist of a bracket or a pan with a bracket attached to hold the wicks and the wicks. Call Case parts out of St. Louis, MO. and see if they can sell you just the wicks, if so, you can cut them to size, just make sure when you cut them, you don't cut the slot that hangs over the bracket to deep. You want the bottom of the wick to hang just above the surface of the bottom of the pan, so it will work correctly.

Post Likes
    And it works, against gravity, by
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillarity

Post Likes

Thumbs up Evap pan wick

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    And it works, against gravity, by
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillarity
    You don't want the wick touching the bottom of the pan because it will hold condensate and will not evap correctly. Science test for you take a pan of water and set a sponge in it on end, the wick if touching the bottom of the pan will do the same thing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mreff View Post
    You don't want the wick touching the bottom of the pan because it will hold condensate and will not evap correctly. Science test for you take a pan of water and set a sponge in it on end, the wick if touching the bottom of the pan will do the same thing.
    ?
    The wicks in kerosene lamps touch the bottom of the reservoir.
    ?

Post Likes

Smile Evap pan wick

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    ?
    The wicks in kerosene lamps touch the bottom of the reservoir.
    ?
    Good point, But we are talking about open air evaporation, not a sealed container.
    If the wick is touching the bottom of the pan, the area the wick is contacting will corrode, because the wick will hold condensate in that location. (Most pans in the past have been metal) Wicks were designed to assist in condensate evaporation, condensate will evaporate from the pan without the wicks, depending on the humidity of the kitchen in question.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mreff View Post
    If the wick is touching the bottom of the pan, the area the wick is contacting will corrode, because the wick will hold condensate in that location.
    Wicks were designed to assist in condensate evaporation,
    Can you post a link?
    I can see the corrosion angle, but don't you need a large surface area, like a humidifier pad, to promote evap.? Maybe what I have in mind for "wick" is not right.

Post Likes

wicking

I don't think that cabinet has any room above the pan. If so, get several sponges and a coat hanger. Cut them to stand up in the pan and put them in a row with the hanger. Upright reach-ins have plenty of room so you cut a roll of bounty paper towels in half and stand them in the pan.
    Hope this helps
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Call case parts.
    I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.

Post Likes
    I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.

Post Likes
    best bet would be..... if you are having trouble figuring out a wick assembly, call your service company. better to have a profesional do it than waste money depending on what part of the country you live in, if you're haveing that much condensation overflowing the drain pan, you might have another issue, ripped gaskets, door not closing all the way, etc...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in