Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leatherman flashlight

Anyone seen or used the new leatherman flashlights.
    http://leatherman.com/lights/serac-s3.aspx
    Was wondering if they are worth the price found one on amazon (s3) for about 50 bucks.

Is 100 lumens bright enough for you?
    Last edited by Dchappa21; 01-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.

This is my light. I've had it for 2 months now, use it all the time, same AA battery's and no loss in power. Beats out a 3d mag light easily and is the size of a mini mag! It's the brightest flashlight I've ever owned @ 175 lumen. (mini-mag is about 9 lumen) Tough and built right! IMHO

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2d.htm

Paid $46 on amazon.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

This one looks pretty sweet too http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-TK11-Bla...pr_product_top And it should be bright enough @ 255 Lumens.

Yeah more than enough , although it use's the cr123 batteries @ 3-4bucks each.

I wanted something I could re-supply cheap.

Mine takes 2 "AA" and I already keep those stocked on my van for my other meters.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Are these light with the different modes the kind where you have to hit the switch 2 or 3 times to shut it off or is it a different setting like a switch
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

A soft press on the tail switch changes the brightness mode, a hard press turns it on and off. Turn the bezel in any mode you get the max or "turbo". It takes some getting used to but after a few days it becomes second nature.

Note: The strobe will drive your pets or anyone you point it at crazy. Bonus fun!

These look great

The SOS and turbo modes are strobe or constant on?

I'm carrying a 20 lumen 1/2 watt Streamlight AAA in a Leatherman Crunch mini mag light holster and it's been good
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

SOS flash's the SOS code.

Turbo can be either constant on or rapid strobe both at 175 lumen.

Constant on is the default, you soft press the tail cap for strobe.

i just wanna know what the holsters are like. a lot of these flashlights come with cheap nylon holsters. i carry a led mini mag-light in the mini-maglight leather pouch and have found nothing to compare. Ive bought a coast led lenser, the brightest one, and because of the the belt holster it is retired to the dash of the truck. as for the leatherman, it looks pretty sweet, deff bright enough.
    and 255 lumens for the other flashlight
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

The OEM holster is just fine, the L2d fits in my old mini-mag pouch. That's what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    The OEM holster is just fine, the L2d fits in my old mini-mag pouch. That's what I use.
    oh ok, i have the leather holster that united refrigeration has in stock, works great for the mini mag, wonder if it will work.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

Exclamation shop and compare

Lumens alone doesn't tell you squat. You have to see the light from these side by side. A flashlight producing 200 lumens of LED light doesn't come close to a 75 lumen zenon bulb for looking away more than a foot or two. LEDs are strictly for up in your face and even then, the type of light is awkward. For instance, they make it hard to read rating plate data. I play with all these newfangled lights all the time at the trade shows because vendors always follow the chimney and home inspector shows. These guys love flashlights and always have several different types around. No one flashlight does it all. For instance, you are going to bang around with a 5 cell light in cramped quarters and don't need that long focus beam there---you need a compact light with good area lighting. However, if you're on the roof inspecting down a B-vent, you would need that 5 cell on a cloudy day but on a clear day, you would use a mirror to reflect sunlight down, which is 100x brighter than any flashlight and will shine all the way down. Inspecting the pipe joints requires a video camera but that's another discussion.

Shop for the performance first, then look to the batteries and other features. While there are some better lights out now, I have a 3 cell rechargeable MagLite for roof work and a Stinger for everything else. It fits in my hip pocket for a quick draw and I can hold the light in my teeth to direct the beam right onto any work. I use it all the time reaching into flue breechings or shining indirectly across rating plates so I can take pics to document the data or close ups of damage such as signs of flame rollout or melted wire insulation.

I suggest you get a palm sized flood type light for working on the equipment, an intermediate light for general spot light work to see up to about 20 feet in the dark and a powerful spot for those really long shots. You can try one of those cheap 1 million cp spots but they are so clumsy, they make it hard to see around them.

HTH,
    Hearthman
    flashlight freak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast