Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

Anyone know of a wood burning insert that also acts as a boiler?

I was toying with the idea of installing a wood grate, or back wall made of iron pipe in my extremely wasteful fireplace in order to capture some of the heat.

However I would go with a manufactured alternative. Either way what fireplace insert do you think is the best made with the largest window for viewing for a 36 inch fireplace?
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

You size woodstoves the same as you size furnaces--by the size of the area to be heated, type of construction, etc. In order to install a woodstove insert, you first need a Level II inspection to see if the fireplace and chimney are suitable for such application. It will require a 6" listed ss liner with the requisite insulation to meet the UL listing. You will probably need additional floor and mantel protection as prescribed in the listed instructions. I'd go with a non-catalytic stove from a reputable dealer. Other than that, you get what you pay for as far as brands/ models go. In general, you want the smallest stove that will sufficiently heat the area and burn it hot. Oversized stoves lead to choking the air supply causing creosote formation which can lead to chimney fires which often burn the structure down. So, either do it 100% right or not at all. There are no hot water heating coils for fireplaces that are listed and approved. It it was such a great idea, trust me, everyone would be doing it. Bad idea.