Post Likes

Any benefit to keeping a chimney for future co-linear gas fireplace insert?

Hello,

My first post here, thanks in advance to anyone who can lend me their professional advice.

I've bought a house with a brick chimney badly in need of repair (top 16 courses of bricks need replacement). The chimney is on the outside wall of the house (not internal). It has two wood burning fireplaces which vent through it. It turns out though that the wood burning fireplaces will not meet WETT certification anymore, so we're never going to use them. The plan is to convert one or both to gas inserts in maybe a year.

My question is, is there any reason why it would be better to rebuild the chimney and use it to vent the future Natural Gas exhaust through it? Or would it make just as much sense (or more sense) to remove the chimney down to the roof-line, or a little lower, and cap it off - then when we put in the gas inserts, go with the co-axial vent configuration straight out the side of what was the old chimney? Or does it make no difference either way?
    I'll try to add a couple pictures for clarity.

I only ask because I'm thinking it's probably more expensive to rebuild the chimney than to take it down and cap it.

Thanks a lot!

Name:  20160605_132532.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20160609_111818.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  43.7 KB

Post Likes
    There are several models of fireplace that can be vented out through the brick, there are also many that have a co-linear to co-axial adpaptor that could be used to extend it above the roofline if needed.

Post Likes
    So no real advantage to either vent method then. I'm guessing having the chimney taken down will be cheaper then having it rebuilt. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Can you just re-point the brick?

Post Likes
    The chimney has to stand alone regardless of use. If the brick are not SW grade or too porous for exterior use then the chimney cannot be repointed and needs to be torn down. If the brick are ok then it can be repointed but consider lime mortar instead of Portland cement-based mortar. The flashing is not done properly. The counterflashing must be let into a reglet cut into mortar joints then held with mortar-no nails or caulk. Once you've figured out what needs to be done with the masonry, you can consider a built-in direct vent coaxial vent out the sidewall vs. a co-linear liner vented insert.