+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tight spaces

Post Likes

Tight spaces

Been lurking for quite a while and just had to share this gem. Seeing we got the go ahead for the repairs today I figured I'de share.

I was dispatched to this one back on 12/24 origionally. Word was the gas co said its broken, get it fixed and locked out the meter. The property mgmt company sent me in to get a heads up on the situation.

I discovered that there are four appartments in the building and three of the four gas meteres are locked out. The water heater for the first floor was tagged and locked out back on 7/20/08 for a lack of cementing around the flu where it penetrates the chimney. Never fixed, the tennant hasn't had hot water since and apparently never bothered to call anyone until the furnace died.
    (Note the control knob of the second water heater literally touching the first one.)

The boiler, which I really thought was disconnected and just left in place is the only working source of heat and only services the second floor right unit. Its pilot was out. I'm still amazed it took a pilot, stayed lit and didnt blow me up. The pictures don't do it justice.

The forced air furnace, a sears homart, was tagged for a leaking gas valve on 12/16. Just to make it that much more enjoyable someone walled it in. Clearence to the wall from the furnace is only about 18 inches as judged by my rechargeable drop light.

I replaced the valve, and cemented the flu today.

Post Likes
    looks like a very pleasent place to work to me I been in some of those tight places before and had to think...if i ever catch who installed this i'm gonna cut their fingers off.
    Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

Post Likes
    i would have checked the heat exchanger on that forced air before messing with the gas valve. just looking at the furnace in the pictures id bet its hx is cracked.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    i-Vu, CCN
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in