Thread: street elbow

Hmm street elbow

can someone tell me where the term street elbow comes from?
    i have sold hundreds of copper and pvc but do not know why
    they are called street elbows

Of all the explanations and answers I've ever heard, this one made the most sense.......

"Because this was the first joint attached to the main line provided by the city. It screwed into the main line and you attached your pipes from this point on."
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

From the use of that type of elbow in drainage lines and sewer connections where the line meets the street. Used to go into the main line.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Of all the explanations and answers I've ever heard, this one made the most sense.......

"Because this was the first joint attached to the main line provided by the city. It screwed into the main line and you attached your pipes from this point on."

So let me get this straight as to what your saying ..... That if that is the joint hooked to the main line in the street, that you would be using the male end of the street elbow over the female end. ???????

Ok guess that makes sense using the male end. would have guessed the would have rather jut stick a staight stub as far out of the main line as far as they needed it beore putting on an elbow ...... but thats just my stupid opinion, what do I know.

Its a good question tho , I have used tons of street elbows over the years and I never question why they were called that ....... just went with what I was told.

I like questions like that tho ........ esier to remeber things WHEN YOU KNOW WHY

Uhhh... Dec - the male end goes inta the female end

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Uhhh... Dec - the male end goes inta the female end

No the point I was getting at is with a street elbow you could use it just like a takeoff comming off the main trunk in the street. That would be stonger then stuffin the female end in the main pipe in the street. I was asking if thats kind of how he was saying they got the name.

And ya I know as we use them in normal refrigerant and plumbing piping ..... how they go.

Its just about how they got the name street elbow

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    No the point I was getting at is with a street elbow you could use it just like a takeoff comming off the main trunk in the street. That would be stonger then stuffin the female end in the main pipe in the street. I was asking if thats kind of how he was saying they got the name.

And ya I know as we use them in normal refrigerant and plumbing piping ..... how they go.

Its just about how they got the name street elbow
    Good question. I'm always trying to figure out why things are named what they are and different terms used as well.

Typically, from a pipe fitters stand point, you never, ever weld a stub (male end) to a pressure feed. A female bung was the accepted method (prior to fused plastics) and the bung was welded to the top vertical surface for obvious reasons. The street elbow made the vertical to horizontal transition from the "street" to the target. Ergo street ell.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Bung

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Typically, from a pipe fitters stand point, you never, ever weld a stub (male end) to a pressure feed. A female bung was the accepted method (prior to fused plastics) and the bung was welded to the top vertical surface for obvious reasons. The street elbow made the vertical to horizontal transition from the "street" to the target. Ergo street ell.
    Thanks , couldn't remember that term. Saddle kept comming to mind. Maybe thats just a different type of connector used for the main.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back