Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: street elbow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    1

    Hmm street elbow

    can someone tell me where the term street elbow comes from?
    i have sold hundreds of copper and pvc but do not know why
    they are called street elbows

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    4,842
    Of all the explanations and answers I've ever heard, this one made the most sense.......


    "Because this was the first joint attached to the main line provided by the city. It screwed into the main line and you attached your pipes from this point on."
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

    DEM


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,958
    From the use of that type of elbow in drainage lines and sewer connections where the line meets the street. Used to go into the main line.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

    Theodore Roosevelt

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Of all the explanations and answers I've ever heard, this one made the most sense.......


    "Because this was the first joint attached to the main line provided by the city. It screwed into the main line and you attached your pipes from this point on."

    So let me get this straight as to what your saying ..... That if that is the joint hooked to the main line in the street, that you would be using the male end of the street elbow over the female end. ???????

    Ok guess that makes sense using the male end. would have guessed the would have rather jut stick a staight stub as far out of the main line as far as they needed it beore putting on an elbow ...... but thats just my stupid opinion, what do I know.

    Its a good question tho , I have used tons of street elbows over the years and I never question why they were called that ....... just went with what I was told.


    I like questions like that tho ........ esier to remeber things WHEN YOU KNOW WHY

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,213
    Uhhh... Dec - the male end goes inta the female end

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Uhhh... Dec - the male end goes inta the female end

    No the point I was getting at is with a street elbow you could use it just like a takeoff comming off the main trunk in the street. That would be stonger then stuffin the female end in the main pipe in the street. I was asking if thats kind of how he was saying they got the name.

    And ya I know as we use them in normal refrigerant and plumbing piping ..... how they go.

    Its just about how they got the name street elbow

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    No the point I was getting at is with a street elbow you could use it just like a takeoff comming off the main trunk in the street. That would be stonger then stuffin the female end in the main pipe in the street. I was asking if thats kind of how he was saying they got the name.

    And ya I know as we use them in normal refrigerant and plumbing piping ..... how they go.

    Its just about how they got the name street elbow
    Good question. I'm always trying to figure out why things are named what they are and different terms used as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    4,842
    Typically, from a pipe fitters stand point, you never, ever weld a stub (male end) to a pressure feed. A female bung was the accepted method (prior to fused plastics) and the bung was welded to the top vertical surface for obvious reasons. The street elbow made the vertical to horizontal transition from the "street" to the target. Ergo street ell.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

    DEM


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Camel City, NC
    Posts
    6,233

    Bung

    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Typically, from a pipe fitters stand point, you never, ever weld a stub (male end) to a pressure feed. A female bung was the accepted method (prior to fused plastics) and the bung was welded to the top vertical surface for obvious reasons. The street elbow made the vertical to horizontal transition from the "street" to the target. Ergo street ell.
    Thanks , couldn't remember that term. Saddle kept comming to mind. Maybe thats just a different type of connector used for the main.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event