Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    So, did they solve it by changing everything out in and around the area the problem was?

Geez, must have been expensive.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    So, did they solve it by changing everything out in and around the area the problem was?
    In addition to all other gas train components I'd replaced, that tech pointed out a possible crack in the heat exchanger. He showed me what he was seeing, but my feeble old eyes still truly never saw what he pointed at as a distinguishable problem.

Nonetheless, we went with that and let him replaced everything (again) in the gas train along with a new heat exchanger...and...it's been good for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    Geez, must have been expensive.
    I don't get to see those rare bills, but MY ballpark estimate is 3k in parts alone.

As it stood though, my manager hired me for my field experience. I never, ever said to him that I'm the master of it ALL. So, when I'd conceded to advising that we get an outside service company to put some fresh eyes on it, there wasn't any hesitation. For that, I appreciated their faith in me and their confidence in my judgement.

When I was with that service company, there were occasions when I'd requested another tech to swing by when I was befuddled on a job. AND...there were occasions when I was asked to swing by to help another tech on a befuddling problem.

Now, we presently have seven guys in our shop (and our supervisor). But I'm the only one that came from a service company dedicated to our trade. I think I've taught these guys MUCH (especially on gas equipment), since their initial experience levels on kitchen equipment was gravely "muted" when I first arrived here. But in my five years here since then, I've noticed an overall improvement in how they approach the repairs (for reasons I won't elaborate on).

By the same token, I've learned MUCH from them. A few of them have committed to mastering repairs on mechanical aspects of equipment that I've put few wrenches to (lift systems on Sveba Dahlen rack ovens, our Werner and Pfleiderer mini-roll machine, etc.). These guys have really stepped up to...and into it...in their ability to keep stuff rolling.

So as one in-house guy to another, Olivero (although you weren't asking), I guess I'm just saying that there is no way that you can be the "be all to solve solve it all". You gotta rely on a great team of other techs to help out when necessary...and as long as you've earned your manager's confidence that you've done all you can, you should expect their door to be open for getting you some help.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Glad they fixed it, I once snapped a bolt in a heat exchanger right off, scared the living crap out of me, thought I would have to replace it, then I remembered I could just weld it back on... lol.

Anyways, I think you got a good point, I end up being relied on to fix or build anything they want here, I can always call for help or get a service company but in most cases, I just end up figuring it out with the manufacturer.

But the manufacture's tech support guys are just like us, been in the field, done it before and know what's up or have an idea of what's up and if they don't try to figure it out with us.

Its unfortunate when people get trained a certain way and end up sticking to it when its a bad style, this "Oh that's got a problem? gotta get a new one" attitude is what bothers me the most.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12