Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First I would find out what the statutes (laws) in your state cover about what an employer can say about you should a hiring employer check on your past employment. Chances are an employer stating an opinion about you gives you a legal right to bring action against them. If an employer doesn't want to get sued they'll keep their mouth shut and only verify your employment dates, pay, etc. based on what the hiring employer provides. Meaning if you give hiring employer B your dates of employment and they call employer A and give them the dates A verifies the dates. In some states it would be illegal for employer B to call A and ask for your employment dates. Employer A should not be giving that information out on request. The only case that I know of where employer A has a legal requirement in some states to tell employer B about you is if you violated some law while employed with A, for example sexual harassment, theft... If your previous employer freely shares/tells your hiring employer that you were fired/terminated where you didn't violate some law then I'd say you have legal recourse against this employer. If your interested in really finding out what they would say then what you do is pay a reference checking provider to contact them (do a google search) . If you find out they are giving false information or information freely that they shouldn't be then a cease and desist letter from an attorney should take care of the problem. If your past employer has any brains all they would do is verify the factual information and not give a reference good or bad. Believe it or not an employer giving a good reference might be a set up for the hiring employer.

Second don't give a hiring employer any information that you don't want to share. All you have to provide is your name, address, contact info. Really go ask the EEOC! In your case I'd tell the hiring employer what you did and just tell them you left because you weren't doing HVAC/R work that you went to school for and saw no opportunity there to land a starting position. That sounds like a good reason to me for leaving. Play it up and put the ball in your court so to speak. You had excellent grades, drive, ambition, and weren't being recognized for it. What ever you do don't bad mouth your previous employer or give any questionable doubt that would cause the hiring employer to start digging around for information about you.

As for the negative comment(s) posted about your grades just ignore them. Someone who is book smart is more apt to go look something up when they don't understand something. Ask yourself what kind of dumba$$ would you rather be working with .... someone who relies upon their intuition and wisdom and gets you both killed/injured or someone who has enough sense to educate them self about what they are doing? I would say yes there are good employers out there looking for people like you NATE certified and taking RSES training.

that sucks i got fired due to a personal problem with my old boss but cant get a new job because of him b.s.ing in supply houses.
    Oh really. I'd be finding me someone who you can rely upon to verify this and get me an lawyer to send that boss a not so nice letter. I'd bet he'd shut his pie hole real quick like. What do you suppose he'd do to you if he found out you were bad mouthing him? I'm sure he wouldn't like it anymore than you would about him bad mouthing you.

I may sound like I'm beating up on employers. Unfortunately too often we hear about the not so nice ones. There are good employers too.

As I mentioned above, the Office/HR/Safety Manager would take a call about my past employment and would give only my start and end dates. I appreciate the effort you made to help me by writing that post, but most of it doesn't apply to my specific situation.

Originally posted by FX4Guy
    Second don't give a hiring employer any information that you don't want to share. All you have to provide is your name, address, contact info. Really go ask the EEOC!
    My objective is to get another HVAC job, not to file a lawsuit.

Originally posted by FX4Guy
    I would say yes there are good employers out there looking for people like you NATE certified and taking RSES training.
    It goes without saying that NATE certification is a plus for employers, all things being equal. But how would you as an interviewer feel if you read a resume with the education and employment history I described but which had a NATE certification and several RSES courses after that?

i find it hard to believe that you cant get one lousy hvac job in southern california unless you live out in the boonies near calixico or something like that. what county are you at? if you are looking for a company near your residence and only near your residence then thats whats killing you, i have witnessed on this site where you deny to travel far away for a interview, i say who cares where the company is located as long as your given a company vehicle and gas card. if this is not the reason your not getting hired then it has to be something about you, something annoying, figure it out and keep applying. Just dont apply at C&L
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Originally posted by refer guy
    i have witnessed on this site where you deny to travel far away for a interview, i say who cares where the company is located as long as your given a company vehicle and gas card.
    The job to which I think you refer did not include a company vehicle to take home or a gas card. The commute would have cost me more money for gas than I would have earned working there. Please refer to this post.

Originally posted by refer guy
    Just dont apply at C&L
    As it happens, the owner where I used to work used to be the service manager for C&L. (I hope it's okay to say that.)

See, you need to work more on getting an interview then wow them with YOU, not what you know. I went to one interview and sat down and my refrigeration wrench fell out of my pocket, the owner saw it and said something about it, and I said, "I always have it in my pocket, with my offset 1/4 and 5/16 wrench, and a small adjustable wrench. The rest of the interview was gravy, we hit it off right there.

Hired no problem, but three months later things got slow and I got laid off, and finally after 2 1/2 months cooling my heals at home they said they had hired on too many guys... Just the way it goes.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Originally posted by Wheelbaron
    See, you need to work more on getting an interview then wow them with YOU, not what you know. I went to one interview and sat down and my refrigeration wrench fell out of my pocket, the owner saw it and said something about it, and I said, "I always have it in my pocket, with my offset 1/4 and 5/16 wrench, and a small adjustable wrench. The rest of the interview was gravy, we hit it off right there.
    How would you as an interviewer feel if you read a resume with the education and employment history I described but which had a NATE certification and several RSES courses after that?

I think the reason why nobody is giving you an answer to your nate and rses question is because its not important. i tell ya that in the three and half years that ive been in this field i have never heard of a company or a tech even mention rses or nate, the only place i see that mentioned is here on this site.

is it possible that you can show us the resume your handing out, maybe we can see something that might not be liked by one of these hvac companies.

if your trying to get top dollar then maybe thats what is killing you, maybe that is the reason why you were put as a dispatcher instead of a tech at the company you mention, in my experience companies like to hear such things as sacrifice, loyalty, motivation, working hard to be one of their best, etc. i was hired at my first job at 13.00hr, and at the same time i worked a part time security job at night and on weekends until i had some experience and a descent raise, this is the sacrifice i made in order to pay my bills and be sucessful in this field.

Im pretty amazed that you dont have a job yet, i think it has to be something about you or your resume or how much money your asking for? have you considered applying at companies that work with Market Refrigeration, these companies have alot of work in refrigeration, heating, and a/c with alot of advancement potential.

What county do you live in?

been there, done that

Read books on employees' and employers' rights. The law only applies to you, though, unless you are able to buy judges.

You might warn employers, as you go out the door, of laws against defamation and slander.

Employers may not say "you're fired" and instead say general things like "it's time to part ways." If they resort to this BS ask them in writing for an explanation ("so your attorney can review it"). If they are stupid enough to agree to this, ask for a sworn statement.

If an employment application asks if you've been fired, this is a test to see if you're lying. Most people have been fired at least once. They don't care if you are a practiced liar as long as you're truthful with them. They may not care about a lot of other things, too, as long as you are useful to them.

In this video, watch how Will Hunting turns the tables on this arrogant, condescending jerk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqWHDuOpc4

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Student View Post
    How would you as an interviewer feel if you read a resume with the education and employment history I described but which had a NATE certification and several RSES courses after that?
    I would be impressed by your willingness to learn, but very leery of your ability to apply your knowledge in the field. Schooling is great, but it is just the very beginning, and frankly, is nullified by a couple of years of real work.

You may have better luck with a bigger company, or a company that works primarily commercial / industrial. They may have a greater ability to train you, or assign you to a senior tech, as you won't be making them any money for quite some time. A company such as this might be willing to invest in you, where a typical residential company needs you to be generating revenue on day one. Truthfully, your education will not get you a job, your personality and the impression the interviewer takes away will get you the job.

Unfortunately a great number of tech school grads walk into an interview with the notion that their diploma, or degree somehow makes them worthy. They are arrogant, and think that they already know all there is to know. Those are the people who make it difficult for the rest of the grads to shake the stigma.

NATE certification and RSES affiliation mean bubcas in the market place if you have no practical experience to back it up.

I can't believe that you can't find a job in Southern California. Good luck in your search.

he doesn't tell other potential bosses he tells the branch manager at a supply house and then they tell potential bosses i just happen to know enough people around here to find out.

Were living in the information age, don’t lie.

The bottom line is you don’t have much experience. The best you can hope for is a helper’s position. NATE & RSES classes are great to have but they still can’t give you the experience that can only be obtained in the field, learning from your mistakes.

Originally posted by SoCalHVAC
    NATE certification and RSES affiliation mean bubcas in the market place if you have no practical experience to back it up.
    Originally posted by pecmsg
    The best you can hope for is a helper’s position. NATE & RSES classes are great to have but they still can’t give you the experience that can only be obtained in the field, learning from your mistakes.
    I get the impression that further certification will not sufficiently offset my work history. That answers the question I originally posed for the thread. Thank you.

rses and nate mean squat in the field, but maybe if you mention that you are a member of hvac-talk.com then you will me taken seriously, get the respect and money you seek. hahahahahahahahahaha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast