Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wiper blades

This reminds me of my old boss when I worked at Napa. They don't make blades out of good quality rubber anymore. The sun destroys them. I replace them every fall regardless. Anyhow My boss had a beater truck with the better blades. They were 4 yrs. old and still looked good. He used to brag about how long he had them. We busted his balls about how cheap he was. A pair of winter blades cost us like $4.00 for a pair. His girlfriend even bought him a pair for his Christmas stocking. He returned them for something else. One day he was late coming back from lunch. I was waiting for him so I could go. I looked out the door and saw him walking along the road. His truck was parked in the lot. He said a wiper flew off and he was trying to find it. We found it in the cowl of his truck and didn't tell him. He was all bent because he had to buy 1 blade. This was a late 30's guy who had a fit when he lost his $10 cheapo timex watch that he got for his high school graduation that was still on it's original battery. His barber found it at his shop and I didn't give it back to him until I knew he bought a new one, was wearing it and wouldn't return it.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

I buy the Trico Teflon blades, I usually get 18 to 24 months out of them. Also I use RainX windshield wash, and every now and then use rainx on the windows.

BTW, my vehicles are Garage kept, it never ceases to amaze me that people will park $60,000+ in their driveway, have to chip frost, snow and ice off. Run out in all kinds of weather, expose the vehicle to theives, while your sleeping, and have a garage full of stuff they will never use.
    Last edited by madhat; 01-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Madhat your right about cars parked outside. Park all of mine in the garage.

On my car the blades are 4 years old, still work great. On all of our cars I
    take a rag with rubbing alcohal and clean the blades, cleans them, removes
    the old rubber, and makes them last much longer.

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp

All the top rally teams use these for one reason -they are the best.

I -like a few here- would go and buy the cheapest jack**** wipers thinking I was being real smart. After getting frustrated by being blinded by a truck spraying 100 gallons/per sec of water on the screen I gave up and bought the best. The difference was amazing. My visability increased by 100%. Rain self clears and I only need to intermittent in most downpours. I'm far more relaxed in bad weather as I can see further...I will only ever use these.

Both mine and my wifes car have these and it's the first thing I buy when changing.

If you value your/wife/child life buy the best.

They cost $20 each - so whoopie doo you save 30 bucks a year by buying cheap...Thats how much you value your life-go right ahead

Cheers

Richard

Not to hijack or change the thread but has anyone ever used the product Rain-x on their windshield? I used it years ago and it really works good. Just curious if it would work to keep snow and ice from sticking as much.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Rain-x also makes wiper blades. I don't know if they are any better than the
    other blades on the market.

One of the kids at the quick lube places this fall was trying to sell me a set saying there was rain-x in the rubber blade.

I use RainX, and it keeps the ice and frost from getting a tooth on the windshield, I got to admit I'm a little lazy and don't do it as often as I should. The RainX washer fluid makes up for this. The RainX wiper blades, I couldn't tell a difference in them and plain wiper blades. When I lived in the midwest we made washer fluid heaters by wrapping a lenght of copper tubing down low, around the valve covers, rtv the tubing to the valve covers and insulate the rubber hoses. Don't use the exhaust manifold, as it gets too hot. For $149 you can buy a windshield wash heater.

RainX wiper blades suck, they fall apart, do not conform to the shape of the windsheild, their other products work well for me. Try the RainX snow melt washer fluid, awesome.

Seeing Madhats post about washer fluid warmers, does anybody know if the after market one is still being sold in Canada? I remember a few years ago Canadian Tire was selling one but now that I think of it I have not seen it in their flyers this year.

I wonder if there now gone because there were too many cold windshields being cracked by the applicaiton of hot fluid to them?

They use these on our Utility Vehicles, and snow pushers at work, they don't have a problem with cracked windshields. http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/
    I never cracked a windshield with the valve cover heaters, if it already has a deep stone chip in it, sooner a later it will spread.

Has anyone ever waxed their windshield? Back when I had my car I'd wax it at least 2 times a year (it was my baby). Not that it matters, but I used Zaino, the best wax ever! Anyway, I'd always do the glass too, in the summer I rarely needed to use the wipers, winter time it seemed to help with the ice and frost, of course didn't eliminate it....
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

i use cheap ones....but i leave them off till their needed...less sun rot in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    The funny part is I still think it funny they sell them separatly, then by the pair.
    some cars use 2 different sized blades, which is the reason for selling them individually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast