+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiper blades

Post Likes

wiper blades

This may sound kind of dumb but I'm gonna ask.

What do you buy for wiper blades ..... cheap ones or expensive ones ??????

It seems like what ever I put on they don't last with snow or ice.

Last ones just fell apart today and I'm guessing they lasted about 8 months, if that.

I'm wondering if the three angle ones are any better or if something else works ????

One time we got the whole wiper that was covered with a plastic cover ...... those were a joke

I pretty much have just bought replacement blades over the whole wiper

Seems like they are getting cheaper and when your trying to chip the ice away from the plain ones ....... it just tears them up.

OK ..... any sugestions

Post Likes
    For winter weather, I put on Anco winter blades which have a rubber sheathing over the frame and links to keep ice and snow out. They're not very expensive and sold just about everywhere. I paid $6 each for 18" blades at Walmart.

Post Likes
    Do we know winter, or do we know winter

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...lade_wiper.htm

I, too, tried the expensive blade wipers. If I had nothing to push but water, I would chose blade wipers, but up here the ice and snow create a problem and they are not as scraper-proof as wiper blades. Several times I've had the rubber peal off the spring-metal of blade wipers because it was stuck to the window. from now on it's the old fashioned and cheaper wiper blades.

Winter blades (soft rubber boot covers) are alright but once the boot tears and moisture gets in they're scrap.

I like metal (pivoted) blades better than plastic any day.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.

Post Likes
    Thanks Gruntly, thats what I needed to know.

I kinda figured I was better off just using the cheap ones but I thoght I just as well ask in case there was something better out there. Guess there is not

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    This may sound kind of dumb but I'm gonna ask.

What do you buy for wiper blades ..... cheap ones or expensive ones ??????

It seems like what ever I put on they don't last with snow or ice.

Last ones just fell apart today and I'm guessing they lasted about 8 months, if that.

I'm wondering if the three angle ones are any better or if something else works ????

One time we got the whole wiper that was covered with a plastic cover ...... those were a joke

I pretty much have just bought replacement blades over the whole wiper

Seems like they are getting cheaper and when your trying to chip the ice away from the plain ones ....... it just tears them up.

OK ..... any sugestions

You made it 8 months? That seems pretty good to me. I usually have to replace mine every 6 months or so.

I think that when it is freezing outside, even if there is no snow or ice, there is a small layer of frost on the windshield. If you try to run them without having the defrosters on it creates microscopic tears in the rubber. Once that happens, even though they may not look bad, they will never work the same.

I just wish you could get the wipers that come with the car when you buy one new. Those seem to last by far better and last longer.

Post Likes
    Mine last around 8 months on the company van, course, I'm not allowed by lease plan to get them replaced more often than 15000 miles... So nice to argue with the oil changer about that. I don't care how good they look, the streaks on my muddy windshield should be enough evidence they are bad.

On my truck I've gone to the cheap-o one's, specially since I rarely drive it.

On my car I had I treated it to some very nice blades, think they were like $40 for the pair. Man did they work great! They didn't like the ice and snow too well though like was mentioned above.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    The blades with the rubber dress are not so bad until you get on the highway and get above 60-65 mph. Then they go from okay to bad to worse. The wind lifts them right off the glass.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Post Likes
    Twilli got hosed and bought the expensive one at the quick stop oil change
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    My boss at my first HVAC job would not pay to replace wiper blades ... he said it was our fault for wearing them out so we should pay ... When I said to him this old truck is new to me why should I pay for blades he said take it up with the guy who used to drive the truck...

Oh, I have used all kinds six to eight months seems about right, maybe a year with real good blades. The ones on my truck now were about twenty dollars for the pair, they are doing a good job.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    I tie my son to the roof and he wipes his arms back and forth across the windshield.

Post Likes

Going to try these,

Heard good things @ them.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/

Guy that does the service and maintenance on our truck is supposed to check all lights, wiper blades, brakes, tires and stuff when they do oil changes. Still have a supply of blades in the shop and check the trucks blades myself.

Post Likes
    i have found Bosch to be the best. i like the micro-edge. wipe them down once in a while.

Post Likes
    $4 for the pair at O'reilys this morning. I didn't even walk over and look at the more expensive ones ...... couldn't see the point.

The funny part is I still think it funny they sell them separatly, then by the pair.

Both of mine went bad at the same time .......can't say I would ever just replace one at a time unless you really screwed up and wrecked just one.

Post Likes
    This reminds me of my old boss when I worked at Napa. They don't make blades out of good quality rubber anymore. The sun destroys them. I replace them every fall regardless. Anyhow My boss had a beater truck with the better blades. They were 4 yrs. old and still looked good. He used to brag about how long he had them. We busted his balls about how cheap he was. A pair of winter blades cost us like $4.00 for a pair. His girlfriend even bought him a pair for his Christmas stocking. He returned them for something else. One day he was late coming back from lunch. I was waiting for him so I could go. I looked out the door and saw him walking along the road. His truck was parked in the lot. He said a wiper flew off and he was trying to find it. We found it in the cowl of his truck and didn't tell him. He was all bent because he had to buy 1 blade. This was a late 30's guy who had a fit when he lost his $10 cheapo timex watch that he got for his high school graduation that was still on it's original battery. His barber found it at his shop and I didn't give it back to him until I knew he bought a new one, was wearing it and wouldn't return it.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes
    I buy the Trico Teflon blades, I usually get 18 to 24 months out of them. Also I use RainX windshield wash, and every now and then use rainx on the windows.

BTW, my vehicles are Garage kept, it never ceases to amaze me that people will park $60,000+ in their driveway, have to chip frost, snow and ice off. Run out in all kinds of weather, expose the vehicle to theives, while your sleeping, and have a garage full of stuff they will never use.
    Last edited by madhat; 01-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Post Likes
    Madhat your right about cars parked outside. Park all of mine in the garage.

On my car the blades are 4 years old, still work great. On all of our cars I
    take a rag with rubbing alcohal and clean the blades, cleans them, removes
    the old rubber, and makes them last much longer.

Post Likes
    http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp

All the top rally teams use these for one reason -they are the best.

I -like a few here- would go and buy the cheapest jack**** wipers thinking I was being real smart. After getting frustrated by being blinded by a truck spraying 100 gallons/per sec of water on the screen I gave up and bought the best. The difference was amazing. My visability increased by 100%. Rain self clears and I only need to intermittent in most downpours. I'm far more relaxed in bad weather as I can see further...I will only ever use these.

Both mine and my wifes car have these and it's the first thing I buy when changing.

If you value your/wife/child life buy the best.

They cost $20 each - so whoopie doo you save 30 bucks a year by buying cheap...Thats how much you value your life-go right ahead

Cheers

Richard

Post Likes
    Not to hijack or change the thread but has anyone ever used the product Rain-x on their windshield? I used it years ago and it really works good. Just curious if it would work to keep snow and ice from sticking as much.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Rain-x also makes wiper blades. I don't know if they are any better than the
    other blades on the market.

One of the kids at the quick lube places this fall was trying to sell me a set saying there was rain-x in the rubber blade.

Post Likes
    I use RainX, and it keeps the ice and frost from getting a tooth on the windshield, I got to admit I'm a little lazy and don't do it as often as I should. The RainX washer fluid makes up for this. The RainX wiper blades, I couldn't tell a difference in them and plain wiper blades. When I lived in the midwest we made washer fluid heaters by wrapping a lenght of copper tubing down low, around the valve covers, rtv the tubing to the valve covers and insulate the rubber hoses. Don't use the exhaust manifold, as it gets too hot. For $149 you can buy a windshield wash heater.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in