Old Servel gas A/C - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They pay close to nothing for the water returned to the system, mostly it's just to maintain the meters, under ground lines and connection points. Also the system water line is a big loop and a lot of houses already have a smaller loop with water flowing in and bypassing the meter and back to the main. I understand this is to prevent freezing and if they have a problem they can still supply water.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh04 View Post
    I def. remember the slime! wash out the chiller barrel n drip tray, might've been the original double row condenser coils, and you had to wash between them, but ya couldn't split em, but there was a bout a 1/4" spacing so it could be done. Remeber venting off the noncondensables into a bucket of water oh so slightly!!! didn't want that hose whipping round! generator would get sooted up because the burners would get fouled, that had to have been asbestos in there! well, at least it was wet then. Once ya knew them, they were pretty easy.

Sweet! Do you by chance have any info on how they worked?

Also, does that sequence of operation I described make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ct_hvac_tech View Post
    Sweet! Do you by chance have any info on how they worked?

Also, does that sequence of operation I described make any sense?
    Back in the 60's & 70's there were tons of info and sales stuff showing how these simple machines worked. There has to be some of that stuff still around. I'd check with the local gas company first with anyone who is over 50.

I'm sure someone in the gas company kept the sales/technical items in stock somewhere at the office or home.

They were very simple with basically no moving parts cept the water pump. Three chemicals were inside the sealed chamber. A NG burner was below the sealed chamber and heated the chemicals. As the chemicals rose through the chambers they went in different directions according to their specific gravity. One removed the heat. The other chemical(s) caused a refrigeration effect and chilled the water that was sent into the house.

Everyonce in a while for no apparent reason the chemicals would stick together so service had to be provided.

Do a search on EBay too for anything to do with these systems. Back in the days there literaly were tons of sales/technical items showing how they worked internally.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Pat, as far as the A/C and heating is concerned. Back in the mid 60's the city of Rosenberg, Texas would offer free natural gas to anyone who would take roots there. The Serville unit's would of been a God send. Now lets go meet some Mexican girls.

I used to work on a Servel Unit installed in a local bank about 15 years ago. The only thing I ever had to do was remove the non-condensables, relight the damn pilot once or twice a year and clean the surface dirt off of the cabinet when I was washing the condensor coil on the DX unit next to it. I went to work for a Union mechanical contractor and the bank could not afford the higher labor rate. Later they hired another local contractor to replace it, I meant to get the old Servel to take to the UA training center but I lost track of it.
    As I recall, and it's already been said here, the unit did a great job, was basically bullet-proof, and lasted forever. I'm pretty sure the only reason it got changed out was because the local guy had no idea what it was.

Here is a picture illustrating how it worked....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by blabath; 01-05-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Add attachment

I worked on absorbers from 25 ton Arklas to 650 ton Carrier units. They used lithium bromide as the solution. Only worked on a couple smaller units with ammonia and didn't care too much for them. Taught classes for So. Cal Gas Co. on how to service those that they installed. Actually enjoyed working on them. Thought I'd never hear anything about them anymore and threw out all the manuals I had about six months ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12