Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I put 2 new batteries in my truck this spring, hoping to help eliminate the starting problems my truck has when it gets super cold out.

Either they went bad really really fast, or they are a POS battery....

I don't remember the number, but they are the yellow top gel cell batteries
    "If you call that hard work, a koalas life would look heroic."

If in understand correctly, gel type batteries are not supposed to be exposed to freezing temps.

Might be off base, but I thought that I read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    And depending in your new location on how much below zero and for how long it it like that, you may want to invest in a block heater if you dont have one. Put it on a timer to come on about 4 hours before you want to leave home in the morning and it makes starting a lot easier.

My new location is going to be Oshkosh Wi. Just south of Green Bay. I know it gets pretty cold up there but I'm sure it's not as bad as Canada.

Now at the risk of sounding stupid, what is a block heater? I know I have heard that term before, but I do not believe I know anybody that has ever used one.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    If you don't want to rely on others, first off, I'd replace battery and flush radiator. Basic stuff.

Next, get a jump start box. These charge on household AC current and can provide the power to kick your engine over in an emergency.

Is the "jump start box" something that you would store in your vehicle. If so how long would it be able to go without having to charge up? Especially in cold weather, when you would most likely be needing it the most.

there are different types of engine block heaters. i have had one that was spliced into the lower radiator hose. it was a heating element that you just plug into an extension cord. keeps your anti-freeze warm..and the engine block. a warmer engine is obviously easier to start.

Charged lead acid batteries don't freeze easily.
    Discharged lead acid batteries have water between the plates.

Tinner is correct there are different type of engine heaters. I have even seen one that replaces the dip stick to keep the oil warm.

What all of the OEM factory ones are is an immerson element that pops in place of one of the frost plugs in the engine block. The idea is keep the engine coolant warm for easier starting.

I am about 2 hours north of Grand Forks ND so our temps would be slightly colder than Oshkosh Wi. Even at Oshkosh temps we would be plugging in our vehicles for easier starting.

The jump pacs are in the around $100 in Canada and the best ones from what I have read were from Prestone.

The same Company that makes them for Prestone also makes them as a private label for one of the US auto parts stores . I know that they were made in the US in 1997 but I don't know if they have now gone offshore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12