Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How long does a battery last

I have a 2004 F-150 that still has the original battery in it. It seems to be working fine now but I'm getting ready to move to a much colder climate where the temperature is often below 0 degrees. Just wondered if I should go ahead and replace it now to be on the safe side. This is especially important considering the fact that any friends and family will be over 400 miles away and I really don't like the idea of having to rely on strangers or a tow company to jump start me.

Also, how often are you supposed to have your radiator flushed out. I only have 46,000 but I don't know if time or mileage is what matters.

Ford batteries are good for around 5 to 7 years. If you are going to a
    climate that cold, it would be good advice to replace with a new one.

Do you have the green antifreze, or orange. A good flush at 50k is
    good idea if not the 100k antifreze.

Quote Originally Posted by edward301 View Post
    Ford batteries are good for around 5 to 7 years. If you are going to a
    climate that cold, it would be good advice to replace with a new one.

Do you have the green antifreze, or orange. A good flush at 50k is
    good idea if not the 100k antifreze.

I believe that it is the green. Which one is the 100k antifreeze?

Average auto battery life span is 5 years.

So you might want to spend the money now, before it doesn't start your trunk on a cold morning.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Twilli says batteries don't last as long as they used to....this article gives you some insight. http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#8
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Johnson makes all the batteries.
    R2B4BTU

As an ex Napa employee for 10 years I'll say this. OEM batteries of all makes usually last 7 to 8 years. Yours is going on five. Heat destroys batteries faster than the cold so if you lived in a hot climate your battery is probably closer to the end. Extreme cold creates higher cranking amp demands and also electron flow efficiency decreases. New batteries don't always last as long as OEM's. I would get a new one and get the best one you can find. Try to find one with AGM technology (Absorbed glass mat) if you can. They are built to withstand heat, cold and vibration while delivering incredible on demand power. I would also replace your battery cables with OEM style cables(no cheapie clamp on the wire cable ends). Place close attention to the frame ground. Also have the main plug on the alternator checked. These are notorious for loosening up and burning up the wires,alternator and even the whole truck. If it looks bad you can get a new one at Ford or NAPA. Change that antifreeze too!!
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Once you get a new battery make sure that your battery terminals stay clean. Talking to a CAA tow truck driver I found out that dirty connections are the most common cause for them being called out to jumpstart a vehicle in the winter.

Also a light weight engine oil (5w in place of 10w) makes for easier cold weather starting.

And depending in your new location on how much below zero and for how long it it like that, you may want to invest in a block heater if you dont have one. Put it on a timer to come on about 4 hours before you want to leave home in the morning and it makes starting a lot easier.

Have the parts house run a load test on it for you that will give you a good idea how it's holding up under a load.

If you don't want to rely on others, first off, I'd replace battery and flush radiator. Basic stuff.

Next, get a jump start box. These charge on household AC current and can provide the power to kick your engine over in an emergency.

If you are going to flush out your anti-freeze. Have it power flushed, does a real good job of getting all of the crud out of your cooling system.

check your owner's manual.
    get your maintenance up to date.

My 2003 E250 was on the original battery until the first cold day this winter, it failed to start, jumped it, drove to work, shut it off, would not restart again, replaced battery, all good now.
    Modern batteries seem to fail completely rather than the slowly getting weaker the way older batteries did.

Kevin
    "There are 10 types of people in the world.. those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast