Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's Your Worst Xmas Gift?

This year or any other?

This year it would have to be the half empty bottle of port ...

...an optimist would see it as half full, I guess
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2˘.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Just about everything. I am at a point where I want to decrease the amount of "stuff" I have so I have less to think about or have to futz with.

Now I have more crap that I have to find places for or something to do with. The wife and I have agreed on no more presents for any holidays. If we see something at any time of the year that we want to buy for one another, we will buy it then and just give it to the other person. For holidays we will be doing something together like dinner or a get away.

Everything we own, owns us.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Humm, several years ago I asked my g/f at the time to marry me...
    Her saying yes was one of the worst presents I've ever received.
    3 (at most) months of semi happiness followed by a year long expensive divorce... so not worth it.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Hmm

I should have known what kind of answers I'd get... but, hey, all answers are good answers if they are thought provoking.

Robo, I agree. My wife and I don't go out of our way to buy a ton of things for each other either. Just a couple of token things to allow our kids to open their gifts from all the other ends of the family guilt free.

They say surprise puppies make lousy christmas gifts... I guess engagement rings do as well.

I actually gave an emotional gift to my father this year... Something that has been 20 years in the works.

His grandfather was an artist for the British military back at the turn of the last century. There were basically only a handful of people who did this at any given time. He had his works diplayed in the Royal Hall in London at the age of 26... no small feat. So for years his grandfather painted watercolours of military men in uniform, along with royalty and his own family, my father in cadet uniform included. During his other off times he painted postcards and boyscout magazine pictures, etc. There is quite a collection of his works including our own collections. A then working, now retired professor from York University in Toronto wanted to write a biography on him. He knows my father as well as so many other and distant relatives and was in contact some 15 to 20 years ago concerning this, but it was thought the project was shelved... right up until October when I chanced on an ISBN number in the National Library Archives of Canada on this subject. I traced it through until I finally could purchase this book, which was on consignment, having only been published in August'08. I bought it and presented it to him on Christmas day at our family gathering... The look on his 81 year-old face was absolutely 100% priceless... and unforgettable.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2˘.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    Humm, several years ago I asked my g/f at the time to marry me...
    Her saying yes was one of the worst presents I've ever received.
    3 (at most) months of semi happiness followed by a year long expensive divorce... so not worth it.

Twilli says in internet talk is G/F, gay friend? Twilli didn't think that was legal
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    I actually gave an emotional gift to my father this year... Something that has been 20 years in the works.

His grandfather was an artist for the British military back at the turn of the last century. There were basically only a handful of people who did this at any given time. He had his works diplayed in the Royal Hall in London at the age of 26... no small feat. So for years his grandfather painted watercolours of military men in uniform, along with royalty and his own family, my father in cadet uniform included. During his other off times he painted postcards and boyscout magazine pictures, etc. There is quite a collection of his works including our own collections. A then working, now retired professor from York University in Toronto wanted to write a biography on him. He knows my father as well as so many other and distant relatives and was in contact some 15 to 20 years ago concerning this, but it was thought the project was shelved... right up until October when I chanced on an ISBN number in the National Library Archives of Canada on this subject. I traced it through until I finally could purchase this book, which was on consignment, having only been published in August'08. I bought it and presented it to him on Christmas day at our family gathering... The look on his 81 year-old face was absolutely 100% priceless... and unforgettable.
    That is one of the best gifts I believe I've ever heard of. Thanks for bringing a tear to my eyes and reminding me of my own dad who passed on two years ago.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says in internet talk is G/F, gay friend? Twilli didn't think that was legal

Have you ever seen a picture of amickracing ? ... Just asking, I'm not implying anything ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Oh I guess I should say something along the lines of this thread. Anyways I never got a real bad gift, at least as far as I can remember. Having said that I will say when I was a kid we would get underwear and T-shirts, school clothes, school supplies, and basics that we would think were "not" Christmas gift gifts. Now having grown up a little I realize they were.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

One of the best ones on here was yanked by a mod.............was really funny, just not PC....or NSFW......

and I din't post it.......was funny though............
    Last edited by Roscoe; 01-02-2009 at 07:57 AM.

I remember as a little kid about 7, my grandmother would give me used paper back books that she had read while she was traveling around the world.

She travel the world for years in her later life and would mail giftwrap and mail the used paperbacks as presents. the books were ones that had no interest to me and at that age I wasn't that much into reading.

My mom would just tell me its the thought that counts ...... at that age I didn't think there was much thought in that

I never did pay attention to what she gave my brothers, now that I think of it.

Ya think she liked them better

Maybe they got lumps of coal

stop getting me crap for christmas

If you guys are really getting annoyed by all the crap that you get for Christmas, then here is a link to a video that I think you should all play for your significant others.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vxhgo8ZUP0

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Have you ever seen a picture of amickracing ? ... Just asking, I'm not implying anything ...
    Hey, there's no need to screw this story up with blatant facts!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Twilli has seen his picture and he is brutally handsome....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast