Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw

Hate to say Homelite, I have tried many, use Stihl several times. As hard
    as I am on chainsaws the cheapest is the way I go now. I am very hard
    on them, use them at renthouses, our ranch, my home 2.5 acres.

I seem to get 4 to 5 years out of them, then they are just flat worn out.

My last one a Stihl, something in the engine broke, but it was a good
    4 to 5 years.

I used a Stihl MS 250 to clear a builing lot for a cabin, cut a ton of pine and maple. Always worked well.

I think the best chain saw is one that someone else is operating

In the fire dept I was in, Stihl was the one we wrote our spec for. Talk about abusing a tool! Sawing through any kind of roofing to ice coated wood to felling trees in wildland fires, those things stand up. Oh, we carried Farm Bosses by Stihl. Nothing else held up. All the loggers around here use Stihl as well.
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I have only really used chainsaws for residential rough in work and occasional yard work so maybe not the best source. .

Boy that brings back memories. I used to use a McCullach for residental rough in's. I used a 12"or 14" bar which probably wasn't all that smart being it dulled the chain a lot faster.

I carried 2-3 extra chains and had a 12 volt electric sharpener I could hook to the truck battery if I needed to sharpen a chain out in the field.

Boy that thing would run rings around a recip saw as far as cutting register holes and running up on the roof cutting jack holes.

Once they started using more partical board over plywood, I pretty much gave up on the chain saw being the glue in the partical board would dull chains fast. Funny how it would spark cutting through the glue.

Use to get some *****ing from contractors on the smoke and noise but two of us could rough in all the holes for everything in less then 10 minutes with 1 guy marking them and one guy on the chain saw

As far as McCulloch's I think they were a piece of junk but I still have it after 30 some years, ok so it hasn't been started in the last 20. OH ya and the last time I looked at it , some how it lost one of the caps for the oil or gas ..... don't remember which it was.

Ok so someone lost the cap I'm the boss so I won't take the blame for that, as many employees in here say

I guess I better make a note to look at that one of these days to see if I can find something to replace that cap ...... its pretty useless with out it.

If I were to ever get a chainsaw again ..... I would get a Stihl ......... REPUTATION and a good one

Oh and ROBO, thanks for bringing back the memories

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    Boy that brings back memories. I used to use a McCullach for residental rough in's. I used a 12"or 14" bar which probably wasn't all that smart being it dulled the chain a lot faster.

I carried 2-3 extra chains and had a 12 volt electric sharpener I could hook to the truck battery if I needed to sharpen a chain out in the field.

Boy that thing would run rings around a recip saw as far as cutting register holes and running up on the roof cutting jack holes.

Once they started using more partical board over plywood, I pretty much gave up on the chain saw being the glue in the partical board would dull chains fast. Funny how it would spark cutting through the glue.

Use to get some *****ing from contractors on the smoke and noise but two of us could rough in all the holes for everything in less then 10 minutes with 1 guy marking them and one guy on the chain saw

As far as McCulloch's I think they were a piece of junk but I still have it after 30 some years, ok so it hasn't been started in the last 20. OH ya and the last time I looked at it , some how it lost one of the caps for the oil or gas ..... don't remember which it was.

Ok so someone lost the cap I'm the boss so I won't take the blame for that, as many employees in here say

I guess I better make a note to look at that one of these days to see if I can find something to replace that cap ...... its pretty useless with out it.

If I were to ever get a chainsaw again ..... I would get a Stihl ......... REPUTATION and a good one

Oh and ROBO, thanks for bringing back the memories
    My memories are exactly the same. Ahhhh, the good ole days.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohead View Post
    is that max power from rhinoforum .net?
    you mean someone stole my screen name?

Stihl with a full bore hogger Oregon and extended bar...yep.

i got a cheap mculloch over 10 years ago which has served me very well for about the price of a case of good beer-although just for small tree jobs. I discovered its limitations when i went to do some surgery on the massive ash tree at the end of my driveway, and it cut nothing.

i did some research, shopped around, got a mid-priced husqvarna, and it cut thru that ash, like a hot knife thru butter!

Husqvarna, hands down!!

I have a Husqvarna Rancher 55 and an old Homelite XL12, both good saws, but the Homelite does not any anti-kickback safety features!
    I need to get something lightweight for limbing, any suggestions?

Kevin
    "There are 10 types of people in the world.. those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Exclamation great book on chainsaws

Great book on chainsaws if you can findhttp://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/571860/used/Barnacle%20Parp's%20Chain%20Saw%20Guide a copy:

I used to clear road for developments and loved our Stihl and Husky but hated the Homey's, & Macs. Poulan is only good for homeowners trimming small branches.

Read the book first then get the gear to not only file the teeth but the depth gauges, which is probably more important. Also, get the chaps and special helmet w/ face and hearing protection.

HTH,
    Hearthman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12