solder / braze question

hi,

i guess i'll be new for years, its hard to adjust to being a dummy all over again

I got a question, beyond the obvious ways to solder/braze, how effective is mapp gas with both.

Also, i stumbled across something in the store today, a butane torch, with a supposed heat range of 90-2400 degrees-which would be more than enough. has anyone used this for solder / brazing? It is small lightweight and very maneuverable so i am interested in any feedback any of you veterans can share regarding it.

As always I thank you for your help, and would like to wish all of you a happy prosperous new year.

Thanks,

Foggs

Mapp gas is good for thawing frozen locks. Oxy acetylene rig is the best setup to have. There are some mighty small tips out there to get into tight spots. I have a set by Smith that is great for tight spots and it has a wide variety of tips that can allow you to braze up to 3" copper if you so choose.

http://www.smithequipment.com/
    R2B4BTU

Techs kit oxy acetylene. Installer the plumbers kit works okay.

I have used MAPP to braze 1 1/8" pipe.

It wasn't pretty, but it didn't leak.

As far as effectiveness, I choose MAPP when I don't want the obvious ox-act rig in sight. Maybe for a quick rub through patch.

Also, I limit it to 1/2 MAX! The extended heating times and lack of a workable N2 purge system can lead to higher than normal oxidation buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    It wasn't pretty, but it didn't leak.
    Not good enough. It has to look professional. They won't look at a sloppy weld and say "At least it doesn't leak". Always ALWAYS bring your A game.
    R2B4BTU

Sorry I know you post here as a pro and I'm sure you do. I'm just drunk and shooting from the hip. Maybe I should pay more attention to my own stuff rather than criticizing others' stuff. Maybe the rain in Spain is really mainly on the plains............
    R2B4BTU

I would get a ox-acc kit and be done with it. Nothing say more for a good
    tech, than a clean smooth braze joint. Besides pipe over 1 1/8" really
    need the good heat that a ox-acc torch can give. Get up near 2" and
    there is no choice.

Mapp gas burns hotter than propane making it a better choice if you want to solder. Brazeing however requires much higher temperatures than soldering does. So you must use oxygen with accetalyne to get these temperatures. (mapp gas or propane with oxygen can also be used to braze).

In my opinion,

Oxy/Acty gives a hotter more localized heat source.This will help prevent the over heating of TXV,King,ect. Nitro purge is a must.
    Local 234
    Have Gauge$ Will Travel

MAPP for soldering 1" and pipe. Oxy/Acty for brazing refrig piping and larger pipe.

Otto,

You are exactly correct. I should not have used the MAPP for that joint.

I was a lot younger and dumber then. It was not the only stupid thing that I have done.

FYI the joint is still imn service. Maybe someday I'll take a pic and post it.

Since then, I have learned to match heat to the material and make quality joints that are a matter of pride.

As you can read from my post, I do not recommend MAPP for anything over 1/2 inch. For soldering, it's great!

Oxy/Acty is the way to go. I use A rose bud and can burn anything in quick.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Oxy/Acty is the way to go. I use A rose bud and can burn anything in quick.
    Ditto get a rose bud, they are a little high priced, but they are fast, and if you know how to use them will make tanks last longer.

We use Victor set ups, I think they are owned by turbo torch now or vice versa