I'll tell you what worked after I tell you what didn't work.

Experience has taught me not to shoot them between the eyes when they are emerging from under the house. Sure, they don't spray when hit in the head, but you must wait until they are completely out from under the house. If you don't let them come out completely and it's a tight hole, you'll squeeze all of that perfume right out of 'em. I learned all of this in about 3 minutes which makes me a quick learner. It will also force you to stay with relatives for a few days and live with that wonderful smell for years. Yes, I mean years. None of those remedies gets rid of the smell.

Now for what works. A few months after the unsuccessful rifle/skunk/puking/moving experience, I heard one moving back under my house. In a flash of genius(2 A.M.) I thought about the natural predators of skunks. I got up and Googled( I guess that's a verb now) their enemies and came up with Great Horned owls, bobcats and a few others. Then I downloaded the predator calls and burned them to a disc. I set it to play/loop for a week and have never had problems with skunks again.