Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Gushing waterfall noises.

Sounds like a flood coming into the rooms via the radiators! Why do these exist? First time hearing these sounds...loud enough to wake the dead. Forced hot water system. Peerless boiler is 14 years old, water heater also. Expansion tank is 4 years old...not getting quantity of hot water in showers as we used to...Help.

Water noise is normally an indication of of air the system
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

How long since last routine service? It could be money well spent. System operating pressures and temperatures need to be checked. Sounds like air in the system. Call a good boiler mechanic.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

where did the air come from and how to get rid of it? There are no bleeders on the radiators. In general, do water heaters need to be purged? Thanks.

Would you believe never on routine maintenance...had the thermo-couple on the water heater replaced probably 6 times and the expansion tank replaced 3 times, all in 14 years...no routine checks however...

I think it is time for a service call.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by northeast nanny View Post
    where did the air come from and how to get rid of it? There are no bleeders on the radiators. In general, do water heaters need to be purged? Thanks.
    No they don't

You may be dealing with two different appliances / systems unless you're boiler is also used to heat your domestic water. You may have two expansion tanks.

Air usually enters a boiler system when the system takes on fresh water. A system takes on fresh water when it is sensing that it is losing pressure.

There is a lot of air dissolved in cold water and it separates from the water when it is heated , just like running hot water into a bowl in your kitchen sink and you see all the micro bubbles come to the top of the water,, same thing happens in your boiler system.

Couple problems with air in the system,

1.) You need to find out how it got there, or why your system is taking on fresh water ( that is a problem ). Probably means your system has leaks that need attention.

2.) The air needs to be purged form the system, air in a system will make noise and rob system capacity as well as speed up the process of destroying the components in the system.

You will need a tech visit to your home, but what you want to do is make sure that the tech is very clear on what you understand your problems to be.

1.) Noise
    2.) Loss of capacity on your water heater
    3.) Anything else you have noticed.

Also , make sure that they (the HVAC company and the technician)understand that you will be expecting answers to those specific questions when they are finished with their diagnosis as well as any other problems they may become aware of while they are checking your system.

1.) An explanation of the problem ,

2.) What the suggested repairs will be

3.) The warranty on the repairs.

Boiler and piping repairs are not usually fast , simple repairs so be prepared for a bill that is larger than you probably think it will be.

Thank you Mikesands, especially with how to communicate with the HVAC people. There is only one expansion tank coming off the boiler. The water heater heats the water coming in off the street and then it empties into the boiler...if I'm following the pipes right!I noticed a bleeder valve on top of the exp. tank and another one on top of the boiler itself. The gauge is reading 130F at 20PSI....you have me worried about cost...as I'm sure I should be at this point...what range of $$ would you be talking if it's only a matter of air release....when you say leak in the system, are you talking puddles of water somewhere? Appreciate your help.

Dont touch the air valve on the tank. It's precharged with air in a bladder. The water heater wouldn't preheat the water for the boiler so you just missed something about the pipe routing. Unless you have a domestic coil in the boiler the boiler problem and the domestic hot water problem are two separate issues. $$ would be hard to guess and prices are not allowed to be discussed in this forum. A leak in the system might or might not show up where you could see it. Since you don't have bleeders on your radiators I would assume that the system is set up to fast purge at the boiler. 14 years with minor repairs is pretty good and you may not be looking at anything all that major now.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Smile

Thanks heaterman...wouldn't dream of touching the dust on the system let alone anything! Does the temp/PSI seem right? I tend to trust/believe total strangers in a forum such as this compared to what/who is available in my area! Go figure, sad but true. This water noise just came out of the blue and I was curious to have some background knowledge before I paid someone to rip me off. Thanks to all for the help. I will make the calls. Was planning on replacing the water heater now anyway...I understand I am on borrowed time with that...what do you think about going tankless...now there's a new thread! Happy new year!

Let us know where you are, a zip code, something. Someone here might be in your area

Thank you Mikesands, especially with how to communicate with the HVAC people. There is only one expansion tank coming off the boiler. The water heater heats the water coming in off the street and then it empties into the boiler...if I'm following the pipes right!I noticed a bleeder valve on top of the exp. tank and another one on top of the boiler itself. The gauge is reading 130F at 20PSI....you have me worried about cost...as I'm sure I should be at this point...what range of $$ would you be talking if it's only a matter of air release....when you say leak in the system, are you talking puddles of water somewhere? Appreciate your help.
    No I woudln't say that it is leaking in puddles, leaks in a system are generally either aorund the boiler. In the boiler itself or an accumulation of small leaks at piping joints that evaporate before they hit the ground.

More than likely they will be able to bleed the air out of the system and get rid of the noise problem fairly quickly but you do need to know why and how the air got into the system. Dollarwise we aren't allowed to talk pricing on this forum for good reason. I would expect that if a technician spent a full hour in your home he should be able to help you a lot as far as getting the air out , as well as give you the breakdown on what your needs are for the system.

So if you add up a service call / diagnostic fee and an hours labor that will be your initial investment and it may be all you need to do at this time. He will give you hard numbers to work with from there if further repairs are recommended.

Thanks heaterman...wouldn't dream of touching the dust on the system let alone anything! Does the temp/PSI seem right? I tend to trust/believe total strangers in a forum such as this compared to what/who is available in my area! Go figure, sad but true. This water noise just came out of the blue and I was curious to have some background knowledge before I paid someone to rip me off. Thanks to all for the help. I will make the calls. Was planning on replacing the water heater now anyway...I understand I am on borrowed time with that...what do you think about going tankless...now there's a new thread! Happy new year!
    Tankless = Waterless , from my experience.

I don't know anyone who has bought one that has been happy with it. That's just my experience though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast