Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reduce boiler temperature

What is the reduction in BTU delivered to radiators attached to a hot water boiler as you reduce the temperature of a boiler from 180 degrees to 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, or 120 degrees. Is it linear? For example, if a boiler delivers 500 BTU per foot of radiator at 180 degrees today and you reduced the temperature to 120 degrees, would I reduce the BTU per foot of radiator to 500 x 120 / 180 or 333 BTU? Are boilers designed to run efficiently at one temperature (this is not a mod-con boiler) and then lose efficiency if you turn down the temperature?

The scenario is an old house that is not well insulated. I am planning to seal the house much tighter, add a lot of insulation, and replace many windows/doors. I am trying to anticipate what potential adjustments might be necessary on the boiler to accommodate these changes.

WHAT KIND OF RADS?

Classic hot water radiators of various sizes. There are at least 15 of them in the building...

are they cast iron?

Yes

i dont think they will put out much with 120 deg water. 160 deg is about the lowest i would go.

They don't publish extended data for cast iron rads.
    But, they do publish it for cast iron baseboard.

1GPM 180° water=590BTU per3.4 sq ft
    170=520
    160=450
    150=390

If you do a little extrapolation, it gives you about 218 BTUs per 3.4 sq ft of radiation at a water temp of 110°F

Cast iron rads give off good heat at lower water temps. Thats one of the reasons that they provide a nice even heat in a house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I wouldn't turn down below 140 unless its designed for it

beenthere,

Thank you very much for the reply. This was exactly the type of information I was seeking. This helps me better understand the implications of turning the temperature down. One other question, will the boiler lose efficiency as I turn down the temperature? The model is a Weil-McLain EG-75 SPD (300k BTU with advertised 81% efficiency).

It won't lose efficiency at lower temps.

Care must be taken not to have too low of a return temp. Or you could get condensation in the boiler combustion passage ways.
    Your boiler should be rated for 130° return water temp.
    This is the prolonged return water temp.(a cold fired boiler would of course have lower at initial start up)
    Contractor locator map

We always figured 20 degrees drop from supply to return. 20 degrees drop gives you 10,000 BTUs/Hr per gpm. You can find flow using a pump curve measuring pressure drop across the pump.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

i would be very careful with cast rads .you can thermal shock a boiler if the return temps are to low for long periods of time. i would go with a taco reset control. It has setpoints for cast iron radiators in the program . also depends on the boiler .If you have a buderus boiler can run 120 return temp for long periods of time. where a weil mclain can not .Also if it is a oil boiler i have seen sooting problems with low return water temps.

The Weil McLain EG, is a gas fired boiler.
    Its also rated for 130°F return water temp.

It would probably take 100 years to get a ROI to get a Buderus to get that 10° cooler return water temp allowance.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast