Carrier Chiller 80 ton ReplacementMueller Valves

Hello,

I have two 7 years old air cooled chiller, and the valves are starting to loose more R-22 refrigerant everyday. The valves are the mueller valves (come with the equipment) and no replace since then. How much time does these kind of valves last??

I need the following Valves (OR SIMILAR):

Mueller B 34412 - Qty: 4
    Mueller F 34665 - Qty : 2
    Mueller F 29201 - Qty: 2
    Mueller F 27955 - Qty : 2

The first one is the service valves, and the other are the suctions and expulsion valves of the compressors. Where can I buy them ON-LINE??
    thank you

If the service valves are leaking through the brass gland nut you could try replace the packing behind the gland nut, you should be able to buy PTFE packing strips you will need different thickness strips for each valve. Undo gland nut and wind the PTFE around service valve then tighten up gland nut this will stop the leaks. However if you decide to change the service valves you will have to contact Carrier Parts (Totaline) probably in USA tell them the model and serial no of chiller. Some of the guys from USA may know alternate suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    If the service valves are leaking through the brass gland nut you could try replace the packing behind the gland nut, you should be able to buy PTFE packing strips you will need different thickness strips for each valve. Undo gland nut and wind the PTFE around service valve then tighten up gland nut this will stop the leaks. However if you decide to change the service valves you will have to contact Carrier Parts (Totaline) probably in USA tell them the model and serial no of chiller. Some of the guys from USA may know alternate suppliers.
    Where do I but the PTFE packing strips???

I normally buy from a company called RS here in the UK.
    They have an office in Chile look them up on the internet if their office is not
    close enough to you to visit they can deliver by post or courier.

The strips come in different sizes 3mm,5mm, 8mm or 10mm thick just undo
    the gland nut and check what gap you have around the service valve.

You probably need 3mm for the liquid line valve and either 5mm or 8mm for
    discharge and suction valves but check behind the gland nut before you
    buy, wrap PTFE around valve stem once and retighten gland nut only do
    this with compressor stopped.

Good Luck and a Happy New Year

I normally buy from a company called RS here in the UK.
    They have an office in Chile look them up on the internet if their office is not
    close enough to you to visit they can deliver by post or courier.

The strips come in different sizes 3mm,5mm, 8mm or 10mm thick just undo
    the gland nut and check what gap you have around the service valve.

You probably need 3mm for the liquid line valve and either 5mm or 8mm for
    discharge and suction valves but check behind the gland nut before you
    buy, wrap PTFE around valve stem once and retighten gland nut only do
    this with compressor stopped.

Good Luck and a Happy New Year
    Wow thanks gibbo!! I didn't know that company! It looks great, it even has thermistors (temperatura sensors) for my equipment. I think this is the link for the strips, tell me if I'm right:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...0228687#header

Where can I see a schem of the valve to realize wich is the gland nut??

Happy new year from Chile!

Giibbo,

I also have chinese TEFLON, veryyyyy thin (less than 1mm) though. What if I put several turns of it?? Would it be the same???

So the strips does not go directly in the nut?? I mean the strip stays in the valve (where the gland nut screws), and not in the gland nut?

What happens if I put TEFLON directly in the nut??? thank you

Does the loctite products useful to make the gasket with them???

The 1mm teflon would be too small you need to measure the gap at the
    valve stem normally 3mm for the smaller valves liquid and discharge and 5mm
    to 8mm for the suction. The PTFE packing is square cut and you only need to wrap it around the valve stem once as you screw the
    brass gland nut in it causes the ptfe packing to seal around the valve stem. You don't need to use any loctite with the packing just
    use it on its own.

The local RS Components company is in Santiago, if you look at RS International web site on the internet you can follow the links to
    the RS Chile office.

Dear gibbo, They would probably not have the packing strip. That's why I'm asking for alternatives, like a loctite product. Anyway tomorrow mornign I'll know whether they have stock. Thank you!

Have you checked RS website in Santiago to see what they stock it should be similar to the uk site, if you look for the same item the website should tell you if in stock or when you call them with part no they will say how long it will take to bring it in. Not sure what loctite product you could use that can seal as the leaks are normally between the brass gland nut and the service valve stem.

Just to be sure are all of the service valves all the same type or are they "A" bolted to the O6E compressor body or are they "B" brass valves brazed into the pipework away from the compresser body, if it is "A" use the PTFE Packing if it is "B" then it will be an O ring and if so you will need to reclaim all of the refrigerant first.
    Your link to the PTFE was nearly correct but you need to measure between the valve stem and where the brass gland screw fits and order the right size you need 3mm, 5mm or 8 mm, you need to make sure the thickness and width are the same size for example 5m x3mm x 3mm or whatever the size is that you need
    Hope this helps
    You seem to be having lots of problems with your chillers are they all the same chiller on the same site or different chillers on different sites. Have you resolved your compressor failure on the chiller ?

Same two Chillers. I want to make a business repairing other ones. In chile there is limited knowledge about them. Whenever you want to come to Chile, "tu casa, es mi casa" (my house, it's yours)
    thank you!