My best friend put in the a/c and it still didn't work right.

Went on an install today to replace a gas furnace and this is the evaporator we pulled out. The customer had his best friend put in a 13 seer Ducane air conditioner without changing the coil. Nice airflow on that thing. Do you also notice the armored lineset? First time in 23 years that I've ever seen this. The last picture shows what he had in his house before the Ducane. A nice Westinghouse thru-the-wall a/c. So now not only did he get a nice new Trane 90+ furnace, he got a new lineset and new evaporator coil.

Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

was there any armaflex on the suction side or just whats pictured

Why does it look like conduit going into the refrigerant lines?

As I remember those are early 70ish lines. They weren't made that long as the galvanization on the suction line trapped the condensate and cause pin holes in the copper.

The next generation of residential lines were precharged, preinsulated quick connects.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I've only seen a hand full of coils that have what seems to be elect. conduit on refrig. lines. They never had any armaflex, I think that was their way or reducing the number of fitting used, played with one and it took a pretty tight bend with one of them to kink it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH0983 View Post
    was there any armaflex on the suction side or just whats pictured
    Yeah, it did.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    The next generation of residential lines were precharged, preinsulated quick connects.
    Those weren't the horrid plastic linesets G.E. came up with, was it? Those came out in the 60's.

That A coil and lineset look like remnants of an early 60’s DIY central AC system. These early systems had the condenser, lineset and A coil preassembled and connected at the factory. To install the system you needed to cut a large enough hole in your foundation to slip the lineset and A coil through. Once the A coil was inside you bolted the condenser to the foundation, uncoiled the lineset and install the A coil. …not a fun task. The Armorflex was installed on the lineset so you didn’t kink the lines when uncoiling them. I know Fedders made a good number of these systems. Perhaps Westinghouse did as well.

I remember doing a changing taking out a westinghouse a/c, putting in a rheem (yuck). My helper, the company owner, and I are walking through the job looking at everything. I took one look at the a/c and said "WTF you F'ing retard!" to my boss. No way to get a new lineset in without tearing down a finished sealing, and he never saw it when he priced the job. So, I spend 3 days on a simple change out, that he bid for peanuts.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted