Thread: Manometers

Manometers

Ok I got one of these guages:

http://www.climatedoctors.com/Items/...e%20Test%20Kit

for measuring gas pressures. One of the other techs tells me today that the only type acceptable by the local gas company is a u tube manometer. My question is this a code thing or a local thing. Bare in mine I am not calibrating gas meters or regulators or anything like that but I do want to use it to set pressures on new gas valves.

a salck tube is the best and most accurate. but is not required by any means... but the one you paid for has got to be the most inaccurate one ever made least mine was always wrong.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I used to use that kind,until I got my hands on a magnahelic gauge.I also use a YJ digital one that I use as well.I like them both,but my preference is the magnahelic.
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

do the instructions state "thump gauge"???????????
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I just ordered one of those a couple days ago and am waiting for it in the mail. . .
    I will let you know how well it works. I should have spent a little more and gone with the Testo 510. . . .
    Maybe that will be my next investment. I primarilly need it for testing a new install of gas piping. Code requries anything over 15 or 20 ft. to be tested here in Ontario.

Here is Ontario you better check the code book. 5.22.2 in the old code book because the new code book is out in the truck states that if a gauge is used it must be 3 inches and the max range shall exceed the test pressure by at least 15% but not more than 300%. The pressure gauge shall be calibrated to read in increments of not more than either 2psig or 2% of the maximum dial reading.

I bought a Yellow jacket 3inch gauge with a pressure tap fitting on it for testing gas piping here it is.

For gas pipe testing the code book states all size pipe up to and including 2psig working pressure 200 feet or less 15psig for 15 minutes. That is why they want a 3 inch gauge so the 15psig is at the top of the gauge. In Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    a salck tube is the best and most accurate. but is not required by any means... but the one you paid for has got to be the most inaccurate one ever made least mine was always wrong.

Are slack tubes quick and easy to use? Better than digital manometer?
    I was just looking at one and they are pretty expensive. For measuring gas pressures the 6-0-6 would be the one I would need correct?

The one you got is good for getting close. They really are not very accurate.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Thanks for all the advice. I will remember that it is primarily a reference guage not a calibrated piece. I was pricing the electronic manometers and might consider one of those because they can do duct pressures as well.

I have both that yellow jacket gas test kit and the testo 510. The gas test kit was fine for doing PMs but then I needed something to do negative pressure for checking pressure switches and such and bought the testo. I use the hose and fitting from the yellow jacket kit with the testo and also as a backup.

Like the other day I checked a gas valve and the testo was telling me 4.98"wc. Since thats pretty high I decided to compare it to the gas kit just to make sure the testo hadnt gotten broken some how. Gas kit confirmed it was close to 5", and I used the testo to dial in down to 3.5.

I had one of those dial gauges when I started out until another mechanic showed how inaccurate it was. I use a oil filled U tube that is always accurate, and always ready to go (no filling with water). You just have to keep it from tipping over. Next one will de digital, and use the U tube to check accuracy.