80 Ton Chiller, Compressor 1 FAILURE
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    243

    80 Ton Chiller, Compressor 1 FAILURE

    Hello,

    I have a Carrier 30 GTN 080 -920. It gives me the T051 alarm. This is the manual description. When chiller is started, fan starts, after a few seconds I get this annoying alarm, so Circuit is shut down. Any Ideas? This is the manual description

    ALARM/
    ALERT
    CODE
    ALARM
    OR
    ALERT
    DESCRIPTION
    WHY WAS THIS
    ALARM
    GENERATED?
    ACTION TAKEN
    BY CONTROL
    RESET
    METHOD
    PROBABLE
    CAUSE
    T051 Alert Circuit A, Compressor 1
    Failure
    Compressor feedback signal
    does not match relay
    state
    Circuit A shut down. Manual High-pressure or loss-ofcharge
    switch open, faulty
    control relay or CPCS
    board, loss of condenser
    air, liquid valve closed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    south
    Posts
    588
    Did you check the possible causes that the manual listed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by licensed to chill View Post
    Did you check the possible causes that the manual listed?
    "High-pressure or loss-ofcharge
    switch open, faulty
    control relay or CPCS
    board, loss of condenser
    air, liquid valve closed."

    What does it mean "loss of condenser air"
    thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    Failure
    Compressor feedback signal
    does not match relay
    state
    Circuit A shut down. Manual High-pressure or loss-ofcharge
    switch open, faulty
    control relay or CPCS
    board, loss of condenser
    air, liquid valve closed.
    After reading this I would look for open saftey, but I'm only speculating I would have to actually look at the unit to make a proper diagnosis. It could be one of many things that would give you this error code.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    243
    Condenser AIR?? what does it mean?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    [quote=crised;2082921

    What does it mean "loss of condenser air"
    thanks[/quote]

    Condenser fan's not running or a dirty condenser coil. Either one of these two things will cause high head pressure.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Condenser fan's not running or a dirty condenser coil. Either one of these two things will cause high head pressure.
    ok, thank you!!! Very easy acctually

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    243
    How can I test the pressure measurer device, that signals to the electronic board??

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    This Page intentionally left blank

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    Quote Originally Posted by crised View Post
    How can I test the pressure measurer device, that signals to the electronic board??
    Sorry, but I have probably already said too much this is not a DIY site and if I say anymore Hey Bob will have me cleaning coils and boilers till this time next year. In order to check pressures on the system you must have an EPA certification.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by crised View Post
    How can I test the pressure measurer device, that signals to the electronic board??
    You have to order in a special device.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by crised View Post
    Hello,

    I have a Carrier 30 GTN 080 -920. It gives me the T051 alarm. This is the manual description. When chiller is started, fan starts, after a few seconds I get this annoying alarm, so Circuit is shut down. Any Ideas? This is the manual description

    ALARM/
    ALERT
    CODE
    ALARM
    OR
    ALERT
    DESCRIPTION
    WHY WAS THIS
    ALARM
    GENERATED?
    ACTION TAKEN
    BY CONTROL
    RESET
    METHOD
    PROBABLE
    CAUSE
    T051 Alert Circuit A, Compressor 1
    Failure
    Compressor feedback signal
    does not match relay
    state
    Circuit A shut down. Manual High-pressure or loss-ofcharge
    switch open, faulty
    control relay or CPCS
    board, loss of condenser
    air, liquid valve closed.
    I have had quite a few with the control relay for the feedback signal go bad. Usually they are the ice cube style. The feed back signal is in VDC and low voltage about 5VDC if i remember correctly. When the relay goes out you will get intermittent failures. To fix problem I replace the relay with a heavier duty style. The ones I use are the brown switching relays. Have had no more intermittent failures. If you try testing the old ice cube relay you might think it is working properly since coil ohms out good and you can hear relay energize and get continuity across contacts but it is vibration when the fans come on that cause a momentary open in contacts. So pick up a cheap switching relay and save you the headache. I do remember another post citing that carrier had a repair kit for this problem but it is a lot more costly. By the way I forgot to mention I did place some gauges to rule out anything on the refrigeration side.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,699
    You might need an upgrade call Carrier.....LOL .They will hook you up .
    UA 100

    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event