Breadth vs Depth??

Just in case my boss is lurking, I am NOT looking for work, just an interesting conversation.

I was wondering what is more important in a hiring decision?

Take me, for example: I have 14 years working supermarkets. I'd like to think I have a pretty good depth on parallel systems. I'm not too bad on self contained and single equipment refrigeration equipment either.

Do a fair bit of work on medium sized RTUs, 5-100 ton. Some dehumidification systems.
    All connected controls as well.

What I have never done is chillers, cooling towers, boilers, ammonia, VAV/VVT stuff. The REALLY big stuff and the really small stuff, basically.

As I stated before, I'm not unhappy in my current job, nor am I looking to switch jobs, just in making myself the best tech I can be.

Lightbulb

Getting back into the trade, I have some 10 years in the same categories as you do jp, so I will soon know how important these things are. I am still lacking in ammonia etc. I am applying for jobs that seem to focus on parallel and rack systems/controls. I am not trying to apply for anything that doesn't seem to be in my experience. It has always been apparent that this area of refrigeration does not have an overload of mechanics .
    At least that is what I tell myself to keep my faith alive. I make sure my resume has correct spelling, grammar and format.......
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Personally I think its a good combinition to have a wide variety of experience in various aspects of the trade but to specialize in one aspect and really excell in that are ie chillers or markets. If you try to be an expert in everything you will not succeed. As the saying goes jack of all trades master of none.

Strong fundamentals, a good technical ability and focus that is important. Sounds like you are there and the rest will follow, not too hard to find a job with the abilities you have already coming in boilers and chillers are a little different but you should be able to adapt with little difficulty. I think that in todays world it is a good thing to be diverse as well as have a specialty.
    "It's always controls"

I specialize in 5 ton cooling-only carrier package units

No, but really... I think a specialty is very important and can make you invaluable to certain employers, while increasing your paycheck exponentially.