Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sporlan Reciever Bypass Valve Info

I'm looking to see if anyone has the sporlan bulliten for a particular valve i need info on. I tried to find it in the Literature section on Andy Scohen's site and didn't find it, and I just finished a 17 hour day so i'm not going to even attempt the parker site now

The valve in which I speak and I apologize for being vague, but this is a 3 way valve in the condenser outlet (drop leg) after the flooding valve. It's purpose as far as i Can tell is to bypass the receiver to take advantage of extra sub cooling in low ambient conditions. Totally self contained/controlled, ie non electronically controlled surge valve.

it looks sort of like a normal sporlan 3 way with the exception of a pilot actuator thingy that had a Tx valve like power element which senses drop leg temp it also uses suction pressure, discharge pressure and a pilot line sensing cond out pressure.

I've only seen one of these valves before on a couple other racks of the same age. Canadian built Hussmann circa 1998

BTW if you're familiar with this valve what do you see when the power element cap breaks off, stuck in bypass??

Thanks
    Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Here's the old site.

http://sporlan.jandrewschoen.com/
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    That is Mr. Schoen's site as I mentioned above, i just don't see it in there anywhere, my navigational skills are a bit weak now i think!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    I tried to find it in the Literature section on Andy Scohen's site and didn't find it,

I was skim reading. Saw parker and got andy's site.

Sorry.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

It sounds like you're referring to what Hussmann called the "Auto-Surge" valve.

I found a mention of it in Hussmann's SuperPlus Manual, which is linked to in the EF (under "discontinued"):

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=163158

...or here's the direct link:

http://www.hussmann.com/docs/inst_ma.../SuperPlus.PDF

(See Fig 2-16 on p. 29)

If it's a Sporlan it's probably an OEM special, so Andy Schoen will be along shortly to ID it for you.

Thanks Ice, I knew you allways have all the links

I'll have to read the links later to see for sure, I'm kinda rushed now I gotta run to Buffalo, got tix for the Pats/Bills game, I just got back from the store to see if it was running OK and hopefully it's not going to bother my co worker who is covering my "on-call" while I'm at the game

But auto sounds right, I was calling it a Mechanical Surge Valve?? lets hope its not discontinued or just a proprietary hussmann valve??? if so looks like I'm going to pull the guts and do a little ball valve magic hahaha

as you can see by my 1st post and 2nd that's just a little showing of how much sleep I'm on in the past couple days

Raise your hand if you love neglected supermarkets!!! hahahahaha

Mike

Go Bills

My Jets need HELP

You're welcome.

Enjoy the game.

Go Pats! (I'm originally from the Boston area)

I'm sure this is our valve... a 3-Way valve with essentially a TEV pilot. We called it a Y977-1 as I recall. I'll post additional information about it when I get back to the office tommorrow. It's been obsolete for some time, and I wouldn't have any information on it on my site.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. – Abraham Maslow

Thanks Andy!

What a cold game, I was up on my feet and jogging in place at times, burrrr, long live Ralph Wilson Stadium!

See that play at the end of the 2nd???? total BS!!!!!

Mike

From the Hussmann pdf(thanks again ice)
    The valve fails to bypass mode, to reverse this you have to put suction pressure to the port that gets discharge pressure normaly and that will push slider to the normal mode via equalizing pressure, from drop leg.

would it be better to open valve and remove slider and valve off surge line by the ball valve thus removing all pilot lines, or would you think that may cause more problems?? I think that is what I'd prefer to do.

I'll just need to get a new set of seals to do this, and I'm thinking a seal kit from a normal 3 way valve may work, the body looks to be very similar.

Mike

Forcing the system into surge mode should resolve the problem. The bypass mode was an energy saving technique.

I seem to recall we used the 8D, 12D and 16D 3-Way reclaim valves with the Y977-1 pilot. I'll try to remeber to look this valve up tommorrow. Andy
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. – Abraham Maslow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast