Why Does My Furnace Short Cycle?

Another service call to a local development that was installed by my former employer. First let's see if Joe Homeowner has been taking care of his system? Nope.

The leaf shaped clean spots are where the car air fresheners were stuck to it. I removed that and fired it back up. The board was flashing the low flame signal code, cleaned that and got it back running.

Some more pictures of this wonderful install:

This is downflow installed on the 2nd floor. The return plenum is installed during the construction phase of the house, then when the furnace is set they attach their crappy filter box and blank it off. I would've at least made a nice transition, but they don't pay their piece rate installers for that. The Honeywell fresh air controller is mounted near the ceiling where the homeowner needs a ladder to reach it.

This is one of my pet peeves:

This furnace comes with bushings so that you can route the low voltage into the cabinet. Yeah, most of it is in loom, but how hard is it to use a bushing?
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

bet that filter been in there since day 1?

I get that all the time. Now as standard procedure, I leave a case of filters with all of my installs for them. Sadly, on many of them, I go back months later for something else or a problem, and there's the full case of filters still there with the original in the unit.

One of my friends who recently became a home owner didnt know he had to change his cheap fiberglass filter once a month. I pulled it out and it looked like the one in the original post. Some people just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    bet that filter been in there since day 1?
    that filter definately has some leftover construction on it drywall dust

I had a home built two years ago. The rockers were in during the hottest part of the summer and the A/C was running. I changed the filter almost every day so the dust didn't wreck my system. And I'm just a stupid home owner.

that return plenum is flippin' awesome!

I saw one with the image of the Virgin Mary

the filter that is

i had a customer 5 or 6 years ago who didnt change her filter, she just turned it over to use the other side. the filter had a price tag of $0.25. she got her moneys worth out of it.