Question Pellet stove with current ductwork

My husband & I are contemplating getting a pellet stove, with the idea of cutting costs in 2010 when prices for utilities are supposed to increase dramatically. Anyway - we have a 2 story townhome that's approx. 1700 sq ft. He woud like to put the stove in the basement & hook it into our current ductwork to heat the entire house that way. Is that even possible? Has anyone ever done this? Would you reccommend doing that? I've never heard of that & he says he hasn't but was wondering if it could be done.

Cool

no. They do make central heater pellet furnaces, which is not the same as a "pellet stove". It must be tested and listed for the application. You can run a regular pellet stove and operate the central air handler to distribute some heated air but you cannot adapt it to the duct work directly.
    HTH,
    Hearthman

A pellet stove would allow you to have defacto zone heating of your town home --- heating the area you use the most and allowing other portions of the home that aren't being used to cool off, reducing costs.

I'm no Xpert on pellet stoves, but my impression is they require a fair amount of maintenance work or they quit working reliably. I'd think carefully about whether there are multiple suppliers of such repair service available in your area, lest you be dependent on an outfit that goes out of business after a few years.

Why are you supposing utility prices will be going up substantially in 2010? I know how eager my environmentalist friends are to raise energy prices in order to carry out their pet projects --- but what are the sources of those costs that concern you?

Thanks hearthman.

Seattle: It was in one of the fliers included with the monthly bill we got from our electric company. Along with an option to pay a little more now & they'd put it toward the your bills in 2010. (Not going for that) Also - it was in the local papers for a while.