What you guys have for Christmas Dinner?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What you guys have for Christmas Dinner?

I fixed Paella, second or third time with the recipe, with modifications turned out perfect.

i had white truffel risotto, and smoked salmon with blackberry glaze sauce. was yum!

Chilean Christmas Bread from Chile

2 cups SR flour
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    100 grams glaced cherries
    1 teaspoon cognac or brandy
    1 cup plain flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup sultanas and chopped almonds (mixed)
    1/2 cup glace fruit
    2 eggs
    115 grams butter
    grated rind 1 lemon

1. Sift flour.
    2. Cut butter into pieces.
    3. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and mix well.
    4. Add sultanas and almonds, glace fruit, lemon rind, vanilla, cherries, and cognac to flour.
    5. Mix well and pour into a buttered mould.
    6. Bake at 150 celcius for 1 1/2 hours.
    -----------------
    Gourmet Pasta Gift Basket|Unfiltered Olive Oil

Here's the Recipe, the Paella was 2 1/2" deep in the Dutch oven, I think the pan should be a little bigger, so the Paella isn't as deep. Easily serves 16 with two sides, and dessert. Dutch oven was rubbed down with olive oil, also don't scrap bottom of dutch oven when stirring.

Shrimp and Kielbasa Paella
    Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup Olive oil
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped Yellow onion ( 2 tennis ball size onions )
    • 3 red, yellow, green Bell peppers, each cored, halved and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
    • minced Garlic (4 to 6 cloves)
    • 4 cups white Basmati rice
    • 6 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth ( 3 LB 1 OZ Can )
    • 1 gram Spice Island Saffron threads, crushed, and soak in warm water
    • 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper flakes
    • 1 tablespoon Sea salt
    • 1 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black pepper
    • 1/3 cup Licorice-flavored liqueur ( Pernod is recommended )
    • 2 lbs pounds Shrimp peeled and cooked in pickling spice.
    • 2 pound Kielbasa, sliced 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick
    • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen Peas
    • 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Flat-leaf Parsley leaves
    • 1 Lemon halved and cut in slices
    Directions
    Peel and de-vein Shrimp, place in micro wave proof dish, add 1 tablespoon pickling spice ¼ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup white vinegar, add water till Shrimp is just covered. Set aside.
    Slice the 2 lbs Kielbasa, set aside in a bowl.
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    In a 10” skillet cook the onions in 1/8 cup of the Olive oil, till just clear over medium-low heat stirring occasionally. Transfer to 11.5” x 15.5” Dutch oven. Add the Bell peppers, 1/10 cup olive oil and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to Dutch oven. Lower the heat, add the garlic, rest of olive oil and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to Dutch oven.
    Rinse the 4 cups of white Basmati rice. Stir in the Rice, Chicken Broth, Saffron, Red pepper flakes, Salt, Freshly Ground Black pepper, and bring to a boil on stove top, in the Dutch oven.
    Cover the Dutch oven, and place it in the oven. After 15 minutes, stir the rice gently with a long handle spoon, and return it to the Oven to bake uncovered for 10 to 15 more minutes, until the rice is fully cooked.
    Cook the 2 lbs Kielbasa in the 10” skillet over medium heat stirring often.
    Microwave Shrimp 3 minutes on high, and stir. Microwave Shrimp in 1 minute increments, till just pink, do not over cook.
    .Transfer the Paella back to the stove top and add the 1/3 cup licorice-flavored liqueur. Cook the Paella over medium heat for 1 minute, until the liqueur is absorbed by the rice. Turn off the heat and add the 2 lbs shrimp, 2 lbs kielbasa, and 10 oz. peas and stir gently. Cover the Paella, and return to oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley, garnish with lemon slices, and serve hot.
    Madhat December 27, 2008

Got the pot and peanut oil out and fried up the turkey. The crisp clean Vermont air just came alive with the smell of turkey when it hit the oil.

20 lbs. 80 minutes.

in my hubby's family ( Swed's) they have all kinds of seafood, like pickled herring, lutefisk and my favorite is oyster stew which is more like soup to me
    6 pounds of fresh oysters
    2 cans evaporated milk
    2 cups of whole milk
    1 cup of butter
    2 tsp pepper & salt to taste
    oyster crackers

Melt butter in large pot, add fresh rinsed oysters, then the milk's and simmer on low till oysters are cooked. Add pepper and salt
    serve warm. I like oyster crackers over mine...

This year I found a pearl in the stew !
    about the size of the end of the pencil lead
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    traditional CANADIAN.......turkey and ham with all the fixens.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

White truffle Risotto

1 /2 cup (100 g) unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon very finely minced onion
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    4 cups freshly grated Parmigiano
    1 quart (1 liter) simmering beef broth
    6 ounces (150 g) fresh white truffles, brushed clean
    Preparation:
    Sauté the onion in half the butter until it begins to turn golden, then add the wine and cook over a low heat, until the onion is falling apart and the wine has evaporated. Add the rice, mix well, and then begin adding broth, a ladle at a time, stirring gently all the while. When the rice has almost reached the al dente stage, remove the pot from the fire and stir in the remaining butter and the cheese, then slice half the truffles into it using a truffle slicer. Heat the risotto through, transfer it to a serving bowl, and slice the remaining truffles over it.

Almond Crusted Salmon

1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    salt
    ground black pepper
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    8 ounces skinless salmon fillet
    2 eggs, separate egg whites, and discard yoke. Beat egg whites in small bowl
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions
    1Mix almonds, parsley, lemon peel, about 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper on plate. Place flour on another plate. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Dredge salmon in flour, shaking off excess. Lightly brush 1 side of salmon with beaten egg. Press brushed side of salmon into almond mixture, pressing lightly so that almond and seasoning mixture stick.
    2Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add salmon to skillet, almond-coated side down, and cook until crust is brown, about 5 minutes. Turn salmon over. Sauté until salmon is cooked through and opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Transfer salmon to plates. Serve with lemon slices.

Blackberry sauce

1 c. red wine
    2 tbsp. chopped shallots
    1 pkg. frozen blackberries, pureed
    1/2 c. sugar
    5 tbsp. red wine vinegar
    4 c. duck stock

Reduce the red wine with the shallots in a pot until syrup consistency. Then add the duck stock. Bring to a boil and add the pureed blackberries. Lower the heat.
    In a skillet, caramelize the sugar with the vinegar and add to the same. Thicken the same with a cornstarch-water mixture to the desired consistency and adjust seasoning. Strain the sauce.

Then serve the salmon over the risotto top it with blackberry sauce and voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM YUM.

Ramen noodles and crackers.

Strep throat for dessert.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Traditional in Holland

I was at my sister's in Holland for Christmas.
    We went to her Brother in Law's for Dinner on Christmas Eve. there were 8 adults and 7 kids - he bought himself a little old Turkey weighing in at 14 Kg (about 31 lbs)

I was wondering if you chaps on that side of the pond have seen anything larger - I certainly haven't in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gnomethang

Quote Originally Posted by gnomethang View Post
    I was at my sister's in Holland for Christmas.
    We went to her Brother in Law's for Dinner on Christmas Eve. there were 8 adults and 7 kids - he bought himself a little old Turkey weighing in at 14 Kg (about 31 lbs)

I was wondering if you chaps on that side of the pond have seen anything larger - I certainly haven't in the UK.

That sure is a big one. I think they tend to keep them smaller so they don't dry out while cooking.

Do you ever use the deep fry method over there?

You sure you didnt eat ostrich???
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    You sure you didnt eat ostrich???

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast