Thread: Fiberglass contamination - how bad is this?

Post Likes

Fiberglass contamination - how bad is this?

In addition to problems with my system sizing, I'm fairly certain I have a good amount of fiberglass dust throughout my entire house. I don't know if it's coming from the loose stuff in the attic that's getting pulled in or from the 30 year old duct board duct system.

All surfaces of the house are dusty and when I shine a light into a dark room, I can see glittery dust particles floating in the air. Most of these particles are very small.

I've turned off the system for now and am looking at solving the source of the problem. In the meantime, how bad is this stuff to breathe and live in? Info I've seen from some googling is mixed...

Post Likes
    IMO 30 yr old duct bd. is not anything like the duct bd. made today. If I were you I would have it all replaced with rigid duct material unless your living in Florida or anywhere where it's hot and humid 90% of the time.

Post Likes
    I'm in central TX with medium-high humidity. The contractors I've talked to would be using flex duct.

As to my other question - any thoughts on fiberglass dust in the living area?

Post Likes
    Fiberglass in any form isn't good for you. Obviously, the more the worse. There are people out there that will do metal, but it costs considerably more to install.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Unlikely to be coming from old duct board,usually coated well with dust by now..Have it analyzed before trying to eliminate something you are not sure of the source of.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in