Thread: Lennox Heat Pump Snow Cover Picture Request

Post Likes

Lennox Heat Pump Snow Cover Picture Request

Anyone have a picture of what the install manual refers to a "top cap snow cover" for the Lennox xp19?

This is my first winter with the heat pump and after a large snow fall, the blades were completely covered, since the top of the unit is just a flat grille. I am worried that the snow may turn to ice and wear out the motor prematurely.

The "top cap snow cover" seems like the solution, but I cannot find a picture of what it looks like anywhere.

Post Likes
    Wow I thought the XP19 had a plastic cover with side oulets, just like the Trane XL line. You sure its a XP19, I have never seen one with just a flat grill on it.

Post Likes
    I would not put anything on top of the unit. At outdoor temperatures that allow snow, the outdoor unit should be running, which usually blows the snow off before it can settle on the outdoor unit.

I have seen several unit covers. I have found that with the cover on, more air is recirculated so the efficiency is reduced. Also, the outdoor fan motor draws more current, since any restriction adds load to a propeller fan motor. This shortens fan motor life.

Stay away from the caps.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Wow I thought the XP19 had a plastic cover with side oulets, just like the Trane XL line. You sure its a XP19, I have never seen one with just a flat grill on it.
    I have an XP19. It just has a flat grille on top. I have never seen the Trane top on anything but a Trane.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    I thought a
    "top cap snow cover"
    was one of those goofy covers sold for a/c condensers that homeowners forget to remove in the spring

Link to what appears to be a winner[URL="[URL="http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-garden-Air-Conditioner-cover-for-External-Home-Air-Conditioning-Unit-W0QQAdIdZ92645042"[/URL]"]
    Last edited by captube; 12-23-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add the important link

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    The outdoor unit should be running, which usually blows the snow off before it can settle on the outdoor unit.
    I have calculated my transition point between gas and electric to be 20 degrees. There are plenty of times here when it snows that it is below 20, and therefore the HP is not running.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    I thought a was one of those goofy covers sold for a/c condensers that homeowners forget to remove in the spring

Link to what appears to be a winner[URL="[URL="http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-garden-Air-Conditioner-cover-for-External-Home-Air-Conditioning-Unit-W0QQAdIdZ92645042"[/URL]"]
    No I imagine it to be a plastic cap that looks like the trane permanent cap, with a hard top and vents on the sides, and would need to be removed before running it in cooling mode.

Post Likes
    i saw the reference to the "snow cap" in the install instructions but nothing about it in the engineering book or the service notes.......

could be something were the paperwork has not all been updated, have your installer contact lennox tech support and see what they say.

it cannot be a cover just for the winter because the heatpump still needs to move air in the heating cycle.

Post Likes
    Catalog # X8782. The drawing shows what looks like an open wire box 40"x36"x11-1/2" that has a solid top so that the air discharges through the sides.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Pro View Post
    Catalog # X8782. The drawing shows what looks like an open wire box 40"x36"x11-1/2" that has a solid top so that the air discharges through the sides.
    This seems like what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Pro View Post
    Received a quote from my dealer on part X8782. $320 +tax! Seems a little expensive for a wire box.

Do you have access to pricing information? Just want to make sure he priced the right part, since they did not even know that this existed.

Post Likes
    We can't discuss pricing here, but I will tell you that that is quite a bit lower than the suggested retail price.

Post Likes
    And the description is: For applications in high snow load areas-Painted to match unit-heavy gauge steel-welded wire grid. Fits XP19 2 thru 5 tons.
    Last edited by HVAC Pro; 12-29-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in