Boy it's humid in here.

Went on a service call. Bad hi limit switch, but that isn't the good part. Countless code violations is the fun part.

We had lost this replacement installation job to a lower bidder. They installed the two newer Tranes. The two tranes, the old carrier, and the water heater are common vented. There is a ventor on the common trunk of the flue going into the chimney that should energize upon a call for heat. Because the new Tranes have ventor motors on them, apparently the installer figure they didn't need the common ventor. They cut the wires, and tucked them neatly up above some ceiling duct work. When any one unit is running, it dumps its combustion gases right out the draft hood of the old carrier into the room.

The three units, plus a water heater in the other corner, all common vented.

Here I hold the cut wires in front of the relays that used to control the common ventor.

They should have a sub-catagory called Extremely Dangerous in this section.

You might also notice the Honeywell vent damper on the furnace has been recalled.

The condensate line in the picture is at least straight.

Is that house so large they really need 3 furnaces?

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    They should have a sub-catagory called Extremely Dangerous in this section.

Nice....you could call it "Will this customer die?"

Maybe the owners bought life insurance with all the money they saved.

Humid....NAgh.
    They are just upping the efficiency, increasing the comfort level in an effort to keep the bills down.

Only Side effect is death.....Thats cheap ...right?

Sorry for not mentioning this is a bank office building, not a home. And this bank, who will remain anonymous, is extremely tight fisted with their money. They will allow hack jobs if it costs them less. You know, like almost every other customer in the world it seems.

I have had the exact same call 3 times in the last 2 months. Restaurant flooded and we got the call to get the two ICE Indirect MUA units back up and running, had to change the ignition controllers and damper actuators (from being under water...). anyway long story short I've been out there twice since then, both times the day after they had to evactuate the restaurant because of 'flue gas smells', they've got two of these ICE MUA units (power vent) and a hot water tank (NA Vent) venting into a 10" common trunk ~30' up to the roof, can anyone guess where the combustion gases are coming out? Since the first time I went there after the flood I've been telling them they need to either separate the vents or install a common venter on the 10" trunk. They've ignored me all three times citing that 'the engineer that designed the system says its ok the way it is'. Today I told them yet again... and apparently the gas co. guy told them the same thing last night after the evacuation... Here's your sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmac View Post
    I have had the exact same call 3 times in the last 2 months. Restaurant flooded and we got the call to get the two ICE Indirect MUA units back up and running, had to change the ignition controllers and damper actuators (from being under water...). anyway long story short I've been out there twice since then, both times the day after they had to evactuate the restaurant because of 'flue gas smells', they've got two of these ICE MUA units (power vent) and a hot water tank (NA Vent) venting into a 10" common trunk ~30' up to the roof, can anyone guess where the combustion gases are coming out? Since the first time I went there after the flood I've been telling them they need to either separate the vents or install a common venter on the 10" trunk. They've ignored me all three times citing that 'the engineer that designed the system says its ok the way it is'. Today I told them yet again... and apparently the gas co. guy told them the same thing last night after the evacuation... Here's your sign...
    That sucks, but at least for you it's job security.

maybe they will call you to fix what you have been telling them all along lol!!!

Jettmac,

What I want to know is why the thing hasn't been red-tagged? Here the FD would tag that sum'bich before you could say 'eep'.