Heat Pump/ Electric heat runs constantly when temp below 15 degrees

About 2 months ago my electric furnace died on me. I called my HVAC tech out and he told me a sequencer had failed and took out the control board. He also told me he thought the sequencer probably had not been working properly for some time. Both items were replaced an all seemed fine, except the unit seemed to run longer between cycles than it use to but the AUX heat was not coming on as nearly as much as it use too which I thought was a good thing.

I didn't think much about it until our first serious cold spell hit this weekend and the temperature dipped to 3 and only rose to about 15 degrees. During this time the unit has been running constantly without shutting off for 48 straight hours now. The AUX heat comes on occasionally but only stays on for a few minutes. Before the sequencer and control board were replaced the unit has never ran that long without shutting off and I've had this unit for over 14 years.

My question: is this normal or could the new sequencer and control board been hooked up wrong causing the unit not to work properly?

The AUX heat definitely does not come on as much as it did before but since it runs all the time is this costing me more money?

The unit maintains the temperature in the house so maybe I'm just being paranoid however the unit is definitely acting differently than it did before it was repaired.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

It will most likely cost less to run now.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Could have a burned out strip heater, and not be running on the first stage of strip.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by bc0421 View Post
    About 2 months ago my electric furnace died on me. I called my HVAC tech out and he told me a sequencer had failed and took out the control board. He also told me he thought the sequencer probably had not been working properly for some time. Both items were replaced an all seemed fine, except the unit seemed to run longer between cycles than it use to but the AUX heat was not coming on as nearly as much as it use too which I thought was a good thing.

I didn't think much about it until our first serious cold spell hit this weekend and the temperature dipped to 3 and only rose to about 15 degrees. During this time the unit has been running constantly without shutting off for 48 straight hours now. The AUX heat comes on occasionally but only stays on for a few minutes. Before the sequencer and control board were replaced the unit has never ran that long without shutting off and I've had this unit for over 14 years.

My question: is this normal or could the new sequencer and control board been hooked up wrong causing the unit not to work properly?

The AUX heat definitely does not come on as much as it did before but since it runs all the time is this costing me more money?

The unit maintains the temperature in the house so maybe I'm just being paranoid however the unit is definitely acting differently than it did before it was repaired.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like it never ran right before, but it is running properly now. Below about 30 -35 degrees outside, it is normal for a heat pump to run constantly in my area. It all depends on your balance point. It should be cheaper to operate now.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.