Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Do You "Merry Christmas" Everyone?

Allow me to preface this question by assuring one and all that as a practicing Christian, I am insulted and saddened by the secularization of Christmas. What is suppose to be a celebration of our Saviour's birth has been reduced to a party of materialism and perhaps even paganism.

The practice of 'X'ing out Christ is the ultimate slap in the face to all Christians and doesn't happen in any other situation. You don't wish someone a 'Happy X-Giving, 'X-Day', or 'X of July', all of which have as many letters as 'Christ' so I don't buy the shortform defence.

However, I've noticed lately that when I wish a fellow practicing Christian a 'Merry Christmas' I use much more sincerity and emphasis than with others. In shopping malls, business, or someone on the street, a 'Merry Christmas' may just be a traditional or polite exchange. With a fellow believer there is an underlining understanding of what the greeting actually means.

This revelation has led me to question whether I should be throwing blanket 'Merry Christmas' to anyone I come in contact with or should it be reserved for those who get it, so to speak. Am I over-thinking or do others feel the same way?

I would say that for probably 90 percent....but ll give in to 75 percent......of the people who celebrate christmas that Jesus is probably the last thought that crosses their minds when they think about "christmas"

I for one have never suggested that Christmas is a Law of God. Some have said that it is a sin not to keep the Sabbath, and some have gone a step further and said it is a sin not to keep the Sabbath on Saturday. Not celebrating Christmas is not a sin, yet it has been strongly suggested that celebrating it is by some. If you do not celebrate Christmas I'm ok with that. In fact, I can safely say that I don't care because it's not really any of my business. Don't celebrate it. Especially if you can not celebrate it without sinning against your own conscience.

Everyone here knows well most here know that December 25th isn't Jesus birthday. The wise men were not there at the stable. Santa Claus is a cartoon character, and Rudolf is in my freezer. We get it. So what? Christmas is a day that many of us set aside in order to celebrate and rejoice in the fact that Jesus Christ left His throne in Heaven in order to come down here and give His life for a wretch like me... a chief of sinners. We could do it on March 13, or August 21... but we do it on Dec 25. There is no law in scripture for it, and there is NO law in scripture against it.

I personally don't think about paganism or Catholicism or the pope when I think of Christmas. I don't think about Catholic expansionism... or whatever. If those are the things that pop into your mind when you think of Christmas, then perhaps you need to get your mind on God and off of the world. I say that with all due respect. I'm not coming against anyone, but too many times Christians are so pre-occupied with the evil of this world, and demons behind every bush that they miss out on the abundant life in Christ, the joy that we are promised when we keep our eyes on HIM. Believe it or not, just because you cant think about Christmas without seeing anything but paganism doesn't mean that's true for everyone else.

I've said it before, and since we're basking in redundancy right now... I'll say it again: If you celebrate Christmas please respect those who do not. If you do not celebrate Christmas, please respect those of us who do. After all... no one's salvation is judged by God based upon whether or not they celebrated Christmas. There is freedom and grace in this issue and it's about time people started to understand that. If someone says to me that they don't celebrate a day called "Christmas" but rather they celebrate Jesus every day of the year, I have absolutely no problem with that. I will go on celebrating Christmas on December 25th, and I will go on loving my brother who does not celebrate that day.

I will leave my thoughts with these scriptures:

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a Sabbath day

The kingdom of God does not lie in the observance of outward things, but in internal ones, in righteousness and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:1 says Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters and James 4:11 says Speak not one against another, brethren.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Bill,

There are a couple points in your post I don't understand and would appreciate you clarifying.

- are you saying some Christians don't celebrate Christmas?
    - what is Catholic expansionism?

I'm not suggesting everyone has to celebrate Christmas. The intention or spirit of Christmas should be about Christ's birth but has been hijacked by materialism and other worldly distractions. I'd rather not wish everyone I come into contact with a 'Merry Christmas' unless I know they celebrate the original meaning.

Great post, Bill. I think I agree with virtually each point.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I put a sign up in our offise:

"We say Merry CHRISTmas.

So sue us."
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Most times I just tell folk's to have a good Christmas. I think it's a little more personal, but that's just me. It alway's saddens me to see someone use the X.

Seventh Day Adventist & Jewish Christians don't celebrate Christmas. That's their privelige, but their kids often feel left out.

PC is not for me

To any one I know the extension of my hand, a look right in their eyes and a firm hand shake and smile will get from me. Merry Christmas.

To folks I don't know, when they say happy holidays, a happy holidays is returned and then a Merry Christmas is also returned. Even if its not returned is not a matter to me.

To be cordially social, I will wish all a Merry Christmas this time of year.

I used to think the way you do homer, in that I resented the Xing out Christ from Christmas. Now, after much study of the origins and rituals of Christmas, it would be more appropriate to remove Christ from this Pagan holy day altogether. There is nothing about Christ in Christmas that is accurate historically or Biblically.

The date in which the alleged birth of Jesus took place is Biblically not in December. December 25 was the celebration of Saturnalias in honor of the god of the crops, Saturn. The celebration of the birth of persons was not adhered to by either Jews or by early Christians. Only the death of a remarkable person was noteworthy.

Here are some early comments on the celebration of Christmas;

• “Christmas was not among the earliest festivals of the Church…
    • The first evidence of the feast is from Egypt.”
    • “Pagan customs centring round the January calends gravitated to Christmas.”
    • Under a chapther called “Natal Day,” “…In the Scriptures, no one is recorded to have kept a feast or held a great banquet on his birthday. It is only sinners (like Pharaoh and Herod) who make great rejoicings over the day on which they were born into this world” .
  10. These quotes are from the Catholic Encyclopedia, 1911 edition, under “Christmas”. Odd how a practice originating from Roman Paganism and propogated by the Roman Catholic Church came to be condemned by that same church, but only for a short period of time.
Government is a disease...
...masquerading as its own cure…
Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Christmas is not a pagan festival, Robo, move on.

Thanks for giving me your perspective on the question of this thread though.

I would like to make a point. Jesus was born and what particular day shouldn't get everyone all wrapped up in a fit. Even if we do not know what "day" it was we do know what year and anyhow we do need to choose a day and celebrate it and Christmas has been chosen and everyone who doesn't like it need to get over it unless you can come up with a better date that the majority agree on.

You are playing into the anti Christian's hands if you can't celebrate a "Christian" holiday for what ever reason. Already they have taken prayer out of public school. When I went to school in Tennessee we had daily prayer and Bible reading for one half an hour once a week. If your parents for whatever reason didn't want you to participate then you didn't go. Life was better back then before the ACLU and the NEA destroyed our public school system.

Also my feeling about Christmas also pertains to Easter. These are now Christian Holidays and no longer pagan holidays in my book and should be treated as such unless again someone can come up with a better date that the majority agrees on then get over it and celebrate Christ's birth and resurrection from the dead.
    Last edited by glennac; 12-21-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

The customs of Christmas predate the birth of Jesus. Celebrating December 25th comes from Rome when they celebrated the god Saturn, and the rebirth of the sun god.
    It was noted by the pre-Christian Romans and other pagans, that daylight began to increase after December 22nd, when they assumed that the sun god died. These ancients believed that the sun god rose from the dead three days later as the new-born and venerable sun.

When we celebrate Christmas, we celebrate Paganism as well!

Too bad you Christians couldnt be more creative...you had to steel pagan holidays and build your churches on pagan shrines.

A simple study of the tactics of the Romish Church reveals that in every case, the church absorbed the customs, traditions and general paganism of every tribe, culture and nation in their efforts to increase the number of people under their control.
    When Martin Luther started the reformation on October 31st, 1517, and other reformers followed his lead, all of them took with them the paganism that was so firmly imbedded in Rome.... these reformers left Christmas intact.
    In England, as the authorized Bible became available to the common people by the decree of King James the II in 1611, people began to discover the pagan roots of Christmas, which are clearly revealed in Scripture.

I like to celebrate Christmas for its pagan traditions, the wifey likes to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

So, Merry Christmas from the Coolwhip family!
    Last edited by coolwhip; 12-21-2008 at 09:21 AM.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

When confronted with a generic "Happy Holidays" greeting or some other generic greeting meant to not offend maybe 1 person out of 100,000.... you should go ahead and respond with a ..........

"Merry Christmas to you and remember that Jesus is the reason for the season"

• Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast