another new for California

In California, we have 236 pages of state-mandated standards for building energy efficiency, known as Title 24. This prescribes methods for calculating the sizes of your home windows, the capacities of your air conditioner and heater, the thickness of the insulation in your attic...

A new revision to Title 24 is in the works for 2008[2] and it includes a number of improvements and enhancements that are largely good sense items and should be non-controversial...

What should be controversial in the proposed revisions to Title 24 is the requirement for what is called a "programmable communicating thermostat" or PCT. Every new home and every change to existing homes' central heating and air conditioning systems will required to be fitted with a PCT beginning next year following the issuance of the revision. Each PCT will be fitted with a "non-removable " FM receiver that will allow the power authorities to increase your air conditioning temperature setpoint or decrease your heater temperature setpoint to any value they chose. During "price events" those changes are limited to +/- four degrees F and you would be able to manually override the changes. During "emergency events" the new setpoints can be whatever the power authority desires and you would not be able to alter them.

In other words, the temperature of your home will no longer be yours to control. Your desires and needs can and will be overridden by the state of California through its public and private utility organizations. All this is for the common good, of course...

Link http://freerepublic.com/focus/news/1.../posts?page=18

I had heard of that some time back but thought it got knocked down?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Yep
    http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2008standards/faq.html
    Have programmable communicating thermostats (PCT) been removed from the 2008 Building Standards?

Yes.

There has been considerable discussion concerning programmable communicating thermostats (PCT) and their proposed inclusion in the regulations for the 2008 building standards.

On January 15, 2008, the Energy Commission's Efficiency Committee (Commissioner Rosenfeld and Chairman Pfannenstiel) directed that PCTs be removed from the proposed 2008 energy efficiency building standards.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Not to be out done the liberal Democratic Governor of Florida has in effect shut down all new state owned buildings with an executive order stating that all new state buildings must be not just LEED but Platinum LEED. This will bankrupt the state, slow building construction to a crawl and require the state to basically "privitize" state services which would be good. Since thy can't afford new buildings to operate out of since they won't be able to afford a "Platinum LEED" building. There are only about 80 in the whole country. It is on the second page item # 2 for those who want to read it without the other equally outrages requirements on emissions, etc he has imposed on all state agencies.

http://www.flgov.com/pdfs/orders/07-126-actions.pdf

Florida already was quite aggressive in energy conservation efforts from some tough bill passed by the legislature but the Governor wanted to take the "lead" and shoved it down the throats of the taxpayers of Florida. What a nice guy a real liberal for sure.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater