Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Furnace install gone wrong

So a week and a half ago I had a new furnace installed. The install itself was wrought with trouble as I had a list of items that were either bothersome or incomplete at the time the installers left. The installers were there for a total of 10 hours and upon leaving the following items were of concern to me:

-No furnace start-up tests or blower tuning done at all.

-Installers unable to get the VisionPro IAQ thermostat working at all, left install with my old mercury type thermostat in place, until 3 days later this was corrected.

-Installers had cut a water pipe and not informed me until I specifically inquired what the spraying water noise in the basement was. The new furnace was open when this happened and the pipe was nearly above the furnace, meaning the internals were wet, but not started for several hours after this occurred, so they claim no damage occurred because of this.

-The natural gas pipe into the furnace wasnít cut to line up with one of the punch-out holes in the furnace. The rubber gasket used to seal this opening therefore didnít cover the whole area where this pipe goes into the furnace. I suspect this is mostly a cosmetic problem, but appears to be sloppy work none the less.

-No ducting tape over the new plenum. I understand this might not be entirely necessary in all cases, but there were gaps in the tin larger then I felt was acceptable and as such I considered this a necessity.

-I was told that a tee would be installed for where the high efficiency furnace drains so that my AC used the same line. Nothing was done with the AC line and it was left hanging towards the ground.

-The glue used on the intake and exhaust PVC pipe was spilled all over my basement on the floor, hot water tank, and my new washing machine.

-Pink fibreglass insulation was removed from basement headers by the installer running the exhaust/intake lines. This wasnít a major concern at the time; the repair tech that came out 3 days later to install the thermostat replaced it. The problem here however is that the repair tech didnít know exactly where it had come from (neither did I to be honest) and as such just jammed it up into the header area wherever he could. This actually blocked the air cavity where my water and plumbing lines ran to my upstairs bathroom. As such the conduit that the pipes are in slowly got colder and colder over the next 6 days until the water lines eventually froze! I woke up and immediately starting tracing where the pipes were frozen and it was in fact due to the insulation which had been put back up in the wrong location. As a result I ripped apart a wooden conduit which was for the plumbing and used a hair dryer to defrost the pipes and got the water running again.

I know that some of these concerns are definitely nitpicking, but I asked the sales person a LOT of questions when he was out, to ensure that I had a good install and avoided these types of problems to begin with. Iím really unsatisfied with the result of this furnace install and Iíd like to gather recommendations on what I should be requesting as compensation from the install company. Should I be looking for an extended warranty period, a credit back on the install price or something else entirely?

Thanks for listening.

1) How many prices did you get
    2) Where did this contractor come in on the bid
    3 Where did you get their name from
    4) How did you look into the contractor's reputation

2 questions

Is it a Goodman?

Can you post photos?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Roscoe:

1) How many prices did you get
    I had a total of 5 in home estimates done.
    2) Where did this contractor come in on the bid
    This contractor was directly in the middle of estimated prices
    3 Where did you get their name from
    Phonebook, I knew little about the company to being with.
    4) How did you look into the contractor's reputation
    I looked the company up on the Better Business Bureau. Out of the 5 companies which I had estimates from, they were the 2nd best rated in reputation.

coolwhip:

It is a York Affinity YP9C series furnace. I can post pictures sometime later tonight of the items which I have listed here.

Quit complaining to people on the Internet and call the salesman.
    You sound like a cry baby, Don't look for compensation. Ask them to fix the problems that you have issues with.

Should I be looking for an extended warranty period, a credit back on the install price or something else entirely?

If you want something for free, apply for food stamps.

If you want a your problems fixed call the install company.

Quote Originally Posted by clintkennon View Post
    Quit complaining to people on the Internet and call the salesman.
    You sound like a cry baby, Don't look for compensation. Ask them to fix the problems that you have issues with.

okok...... So out of 5 estimates the job winning contractor's price was #3 and 2nd on the BBB, were any of the 5 competitors recommended by someone, and why did you chose #2 from the BBB over #1

Thanks for the comments clintkennon. Did you stop to think how your own reply sounded before you posted?

Last I checked this isn't a flame board. Furthermore I openly admitted that I was nitpicking right off the hop. For you to go out of your way with multiple posts pointing this out to me is both unconstructive and pointless. Do you have nothing better to do yourself?

I suspect if this was anyone elseís home and they had serious concerns with the workmanship of some major work that was done they also would be concerned. Sorry but Iím looking for a professional reply from someone whoís been there before or a representative from a company letting me know what would be reasonable for me to expect to be done in this scenario. If thatís entirely inappropriate for this forum please do tell me so and Iíll take my complaints elsewhere.

In case you were wondering I have already contacted my sales representative, two days ago actually, they havenít gotten back to me yet.

The reason I didnít go with the #1 rated BBB company is they were significantly more expensive for a 2 stage furnace (which wasnít my main concern) and their warranty was 9 years less on labour. Looking back I clearly made a mistake in the company I chose to go with. I donít need anyone else to point that out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogoo View Post
    Thanks for the comments clintkennon. Did you stop to think how your own reply sounded before you posted?

Last I checked this isn't a flame board. Furthermore I openly admitted that I was nitpicking right off the hop. For you to go out of your way with multiple posts pointing this out to me is both unconstructive and pointless. Do you have nothing better to do yourself?

I suspect if this was anyone elseís home and they had serious concerns with the workmanship of some major work that was done they also would be concerned. Sorry but Iím looking for a professional reply from someone whoís been there before or a representative from a company letting me know what would be reasonable for me to expect to be done in this scenario. If thatís entirely inappropriate for this forum please do tell me so and Iíll take my complaints elsewhere.

In case you were wondering I have already contacted my sales representative, two days ago actually, they havenít gotten back to me yet.

The reason I didnít go with the #1 rated BBB company is they were significantly more expensive for a 2 stage furnace (which wasnít my main concern) and their warranty was 9 years less on labour. Looking back I clearly made a mistake in the company I chose to go with. I donít need anyone else to point that out to me.
    Yes hindsight is always 20/20...........just wanted to bring it to your attention, didn't mean to rub it in.

The problem is how do you get the install you think you paid for...........

After reading your post i was wondering if your contractor was nate certified. As a small business owner #1 is customer comfort and satisfaction. Some complaints may be cosmetic but others could reduce efficiency. I would contact your salesman and see if you could get resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiehagen76 View Post
    After reading your post i was wondering if your contractor was nate certified. As a small business owner #1 is customer comfort and satisfaction. Some complaints may be cosmetic but others could reduce efficiency. I would contact your salesman and see if you could get resolve.
    hhmmmnnn

just what does nate have to do with it??
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

just a question A.S making a mandatory requirement to sale there product. Keeps hacks from purchasing!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwiehagen76 View Post
    just a question A.S making a mandatory requirement to sale there product. Keeps hacks from purchasing!!
    HUH???
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast