+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do part-time jobs exist in the HVAC field?

Post Likes

Do part-time jobs exist in the HVAC field?

Yes ... do part time jobs (service tech) exist to anyone's knowledge? Or are they very uncommon? My husband is looking to change to a part-time job for a variety of reasons and it would be great if he could find one in his field instead of having to look elsewhere. However, we haven't found much about this, other than being able to work part time when you work for yourself, but that's not an option at this time.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    They are rare, but sometimes are available. Typically, a company cannot afford to put a tech in a company van for part time work. The overhead for the truck makes it difficult to justify a part-time technician. Some very small companies can use part time guys to handle their overflow work. The trade off may be using your own vehicle.

Post Likes
    ahhhhhhhhhh no to answer your question.......here look at this and or do a search............http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188337

he either wants to learn a trade, or not.............

Post Likes
    Twilli been working part of the time of 40 years
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Having more than one job tends to prevent employee desperation.
    This kind of prevention is not popular with employers.

Post Likes

yes

Assuming you are fully qualify in this trade with your own tool. There are many small shop who will hire a part timer during busy season. they pick up the over flow.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Post Likes
    yes there is, alot of looser company owners who are business challenged will always have part time during the winter, you will notice that all these small companies will keep hiring guys to keep them all as part timers versus having one or two guy who will work full time.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Post Likes

Talking

Depends on what the work is-
    construction could easily be,especially large jobs.

Service would be tougher, unless maybe doing PM's (preventative maintenance) mostly.Could ride with whoever needs help during busy time of year.

Installation think would be tough,but a lot would depend on how much flexibility both have.

He could be like an old boss I had,that always went on about how many hours he put in the office( and in contrast,how few everyone else worked),but it was rare to see him before 11 am, and he was on the golf course at 6.....
    GO DAWGS!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli been working part of the time of 40 years
    I work part of the time everyday, and part of the time driving in traffic to the next job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Yes ... do part time jobs (service tech) exist to anyone's knowledge? Or are they very uncommon? My husband is looking to change to a part-time job for a variety of reasons and it would be great if he could find one in his field instead of having to look elsewhere. However, we haven't found much about this, other than being able to work part time when you work for yourself, but that's not an option at this time.

Thanks!
    You did say that he's a service tech. That makes it harder to ride with another guy and still be productive unless doing commercial PMs. Residential service and PMs and commercial service are typically one man jobs.

Post Likes

There are some jobs

It's possible, just need to ask around. I'm a part time service tech at a small company, usually work about 25 hours a week. Been with the company almost two years. Sometimes I get less hours when its slow. They put me in a crappy van that no one else wants to drive.

Post Likes
    im working part time when i find something that can work me full time your husband can take my job.

Post Likes

Gen

In the service end it would be extremely difficult to work part-time, an alternative would be to look at major commercial complexes. Many big name real estate management companies now have their own service departments. Part of the work is done during evening hours so they don't disturb the tennants. IJAI George

Post Likes
    Try part time HVAC/R teaching, many tech schools have evening classes and part time instructors.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in