Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It like to ate my butt for lunch!

I was out last week for a routine PM service. Check them over, fix any minor troubles, note the rest and send the reports to the corporate offices for repair approval. No big deal, right? Wrong!
    This roof I'm having to access is a two parter. Climb up onto the low roof with an extension ladder, climb to the high roof using the buildings short suicide ladder, only about 6 feet up so, not a major problem. Silly me.
    I toss the ropes up to haul gear and make my climb, and the SHTF, sort of. I'm on the next to last rung and I could not hold on for 8 seconds.

This ladder has served me well from the first time I came out to this site, until today. It was usually a strong mount and not knowing the truth about it, I figured the installers used the proper mounts to set this ladder. Again, I was wrong.

This thing had lead anchors in the thin part of a cinder block wall, no toggles or mollys or anything else that would have kept this thing up until the building was demolished.
    I'll have to either haul up a 6 foot stepladder to get up to the high roof or use the other side. There's one of these suicide ladders over there as well and I'll give good odds that it's fastened up with lead anchors just like this one.

I'll just haul up a 6 footer rather than risking getting my heiny devoured.

This site is a leased space and I can pretty much guarantee the building owner won't do a bloody thing to fix this ladder and make it right and the tenant won't do much about it since they only rent the space, it's not their problem. May have to wait until I get hurt to have a proper repair made but, I ain't getting hurt. I've informed the tenants and am going to inform my supervisor so I'm covered.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Glad you didn't get hurt, you're lucky, you could have done some serious damage, even from that height. Flip off backward, an break your neck.

Fix it and bill them for it.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    I agree.........Thru the block and a plate on the other side, like what should have been done to start off with.

Routine service for commercial R/T units............

Reinstall deathtrap ladder..........$1500..........

Feign a back injury, collect workmans comp, sue them and go relax in Hawaii.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Feign a back injury, collect workmans comp, sue them and go relax in Hawaii.
    I do believe I like your solution best. I'd prefer to go to Alaska though. Lots of fishing, hunting, exploring, etc.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    why not?

that's what i would do
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Building Code people can prolly put a lot of PSI on these people to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    The Building Code people can prolly put a lot of PSI on these people to get it fixed.
    more like fire marshal in south carline
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    more like fire marshal in south carline
    I'll probably be making a phone call or two after I discuss this with my supervisor tomorrow.

You were very lucky. A former employer had a service tech out on a routine job just like this, except this type of ladder went from the ground up to the single story roof. At the roof, the entire ladder pulled loose from the building and fell. The tech fell onto the ladder at which time, one of the angles speared him in the side, and he found himself impaled. Lucky he didn't bleed to death, before he could get help. Needless to say, all of his medical bills and associated costs were taken care of (gladly) by the General Contractor who installed the ladder on the new construction project.

We can never take for granted that we will find things the way they should be.

Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Thanks for the pics, I am on these ladders almost every day. Will be more watchful for sure and bring my parachute. You just woke up alot us. Glad you were'nt hurt.

Glad you are OK!
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast