Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And I need one. Family has a Heil (Dettsen) oil furnace and no HXs in the states. United is trying to get me one fast from the Canada factory. The people are ccccold. You'd think ICP would keep a few on hand at their US parts warehouse.

And we have been going through a lot of Heil gas HXs this fall. Good for biz though. Carrier 80s too!

why does this not surprise me... OH your location says AZ

payson set the record straight for that state.

beachy knows that everything hvac in AZ is dumb lol
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

secondary heat exchanger failure on heil/quaker 90+. easy to identify, flame roll out trip, or tripping vent temp limit. very common problem. seen many furnaces changed because they could not fix. alot of these furnaces had lifetime heat x warrenties. 3 rd secondary claimed. $640 part. home owner love it. their 20+ year old furnace also has its original air flow back. those secondarys will clog easily on air side with dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by superheatrman View Post
    ...needs heat-x removed and washed...
    You know, I'd never heard of this before.
    But you are the second person today to suggest this solution. The other one was in person, over the phone.

a) if it's sooted up, it had incomplete combustion.
    b) In this case, due to too much propane.
    c) there would have been more heat than the HX was ever designed to be exposed to.
    d) it's now sooted up.

Do you believe cleaning it is a good option, or is it now also weakened and potentially closer to cracking?
    This is what happens when I take photos of things OTHER than bad A/C installations:
    Arizona. Photographed: http://community.webshots.com/album/563042864aIFjqw

Hmm

the secondary in pics, plastic end cap cracks. possiblly due to heat. NUGK models of heil, tempstar, kenmore... the part is usally under warrenty. the primary heat-x in these units is stainless steel. they had lifetime warrenties. the only way to get a sooted unit running again is to remove and wash secondary. thats when you will find the cracks. high temp rtv can be used as a temporary fix, untill you get parts. our local dealer is stocking those secondarys. the primary can be cleaned in unit, if you breakdown top end of furnace. the roll out limit or vent temp limit on inducer ass. will trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12