+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electric Torch, Flameless

Post Likes

Electric Torch, Flameless

Can anyone recommend a good, "one that actually works" Electric pipe fitting heater to soft solder 1", 3/4", 1/2" pipe with. The Safety Person at work has these impossible rules, for using an open flame torch in the buildings. Six hour fire watch, no bottles or torches unattended, etc. When I was piping in units in the mechanical room it wasn't a big deal, as I could just walk outside and torch stuff up. Second floor and in the attic, what a PITA. Cost is no object, since I'm going to throw the purchase of this thing back in their lap.

Post Likes
    What about the propress system.

My safety person wouldn't let me use the flames less torches, because of the change of spark. Went to the propress system for anything to do with water.
    Have be happy with it. Can set all fittings in a run then come back to crimp. end up doing a fitting in about have the time of a solder fitting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good, "one that actually works" Electric pipe fitting heater to soft solder 1", 3/4", 1/2" pipe with. The Safety Person at work has these impossible rules, for using an open flame torch in the buildings. Six hour fire watch, no bottles or torches unattended, etc. When I was piping in units in the mechanical room it wasn't a big deal, as I could just walk outside and torch stuff up. Second floor and in the attic, what a PITA. Cost is no object, since I'm going to throw the purchase of this thing back in their lap.
    Oh man, I feel for ya. We had a job like that years ago in a shop that had oil mist in the air. The PITA shop foreman said we couldn't sweat with an open flame and had to do something else. (This is before the Pro Press.)

We used an electric made by Ridgid and it worked fairly well. It was a bit slower than a b tank, but not bad at all. 1/2" & 3/4" would heat about the same speed as using mapp gas just for reference. It took about 2 minutes to do 1-1/4" tho.

Look up Ridgid Mini Pro. They run about $600 bux.

Post Likes
    The thing is there is no reasons for this rule, in this area. Floor is concrete, walls CBS, ceiling plaster lathe, attached to wire, attached to steel, we are working below the ceiling. The problem is the person won't look at the job site,"don't see how they can call themselves 'safety' if they don't look at our work areas," and they never had a torch in their hand.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I know where your coming from. I've had to deal with plenty of people like that over the years. These people are the type to exert they're authority on a job that they read about in a book and never actually did.

He wouldn't like it if you went over his head, but he does have a boss too. Personally, if it's not a hazardous area as you say it is, you probably pose more of a risk using an electric unit to sweat copper due to the heavy gauge extension cords that will have to be put down to feed the power hungry machine. Especially if your on ladders or crawling around in precarious areas.

The power leads to the clamps on that electric machine are only 6 or 8 feet long, so it's necessary to drag the power supply anywhere you need to work. The electrics work, and are great for particular situations, like close to wood, in walls and floors, but in your case, the only thing holding you up is a bonehead that has no understanding of the job.

Post Likes
    If are dealing with water just use "Sharkbite" fittings, quick easy and you will probably get called back in about 4-5 years to replace them due to leaks !!!!

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    Safety caved, I was pulling new T-stat wire last week, for the units. People started asking when they'd have heat, so I told them what the hold up was. Some of them even took a look at the mechanical rooms, guess they breathed fire down safetys neck. Monday they told me to go ahead and use a torch, told them sorry but I need a signed letter. They got it to me late Monday. All three unit are piped, now the electricians are dragging their feet.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in