+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have alerton questions

Post Likes
    xarralu,
    The BCM-ETH and the MS/TP controllers have different network numbers. Make sure you are scanning all networks when do the discover and that your jace network number is different.

As for the writable points, all AVs and BVs can be written to in Alerton. When you discover and add AVs/BVs you have to choose whether or not its a writable point (numeric or numeric writable, boolean or boolean writable). To know what points are being used as writable points you'll have to go through the Alerton program. Unfortunately when you discover an Alerton controller in AX it gives you every possible point that could be used. This is why you got 1000 for the BCM, but I guarantee most of them aren't even being used.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply PlatinumRH. Yea, I noticed that the ETH had a totally different network number, that's why I ended up scanning on the MS/TP side of the ETH. I have to use my JACE because the LGR won't discover on MS/TP. My main problem is that through my ALC router (LGR), I'm not able to write to any of the points even at priority 1.

Post Likes

Confused IBEX 5.2 on new computer

Quote Originally Posted by cdpixton View Post
    Hello, I have IBEX for Windows v5.2, build 006, running on Windows 98. Can I run this on Windows XP? I'm told the software wants to be on an 8-bit system. I got it to run on XP but won't recognize the software dongle (on the parallel port), so it won't work. Thanks for any help.

Clayton
    Please, anyone have any ideas? If I can't run it on XP I'm told I'll have to have all the programming re-done for the XP-compatible software. Thanks in advance! My Win98SE machine has either faulty MB or bad memory...

Clayton

Post Likes
    Please, anyone have any ideas? If I can't run it on XP I'm told I'll have to have all the programming re-done for the XP-compatible software. Thanks in advance! My Win98SE machine has either faulty MB or bad memory...

Clayton
    I have some legacy software (not Ibex) that uses a par port dongle. I run Win98 in a virtual machine using VMWare on my XP laptop and it works fine, recognizes the par. port too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Thanks DDC_Dan, I'll try that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ph33r View Post
    Post them here and I will answer them I have been programming IBEX and BACtalk for a while.
    I'm in a quandary... I've wrote many Alerton programs in VisualLogic, but it's been some time ago. I'm afflicted w/Alzheimer's and can't remember what I did w/my programming manual. I'm finally (after several years) in the process of putting a small control system in my home. I have a rather complicated system that utilizes a wood-fired boiler, a high-efficiency condensing gas boiler (Locinvar Knight), and a Comfort Master heat pump; all self-installed. I want to automate this system as much as possible, so my wife can operate the heating/cooling system w/o getting confused. I have the program written (VisualLogic), but am getting errors during self-check. I've forgotten the BR rules for branch connections, and apparently this is the problem. Can you help with possibly supplying access to a programming manual? The new system control will operate the mechanical room, plus two air handlers and some convection heating (hydronic baseboard). The heat pump will provide cooling to one of the air handlers (just installed). The new air handler will also help unload the heat pump during heat cycle.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ron
    Since 1943

Post Likes

Smile old IBEX on new machine

[QUOTE=DDC_Dan;15460711]I have some legacy software (not Ibex) that uses a par port dongle. I run Win98 in a virtual machine using VMWare on my XP laptop and it works fine, recognizes the par. port too.

The VMWare thing worked, on a Windows 7 machine. Thanks, DDC_Dan!

Post Likes
    The VMWare thing worked, on a Windows 7 machine. Thanks, DDC_Dan!
    Neat! Glad it worked.

Post Likes
    We have just replaced an Apex at one of our sites and we are getting a "clock error". I am not at the site and in another state. We know the Apex was working when it was pulled from a different site. We are using 2 wire RS485. I'm trying to figure out what it means. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    I don't remember exactly, I don't think I've ever actually gotten this error.. but here's a guess:
    - Is the Apex addressed as Apex 1? There must be an Apex one, the entire system looks for Apex one for the clock.
    - Is the battery good, and the battery tab removed? If not, the slightest power bump will change the clock.

Post Likes
    Don't you just look at alarm history?

Post Likes
    Envision for Backtalk
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes

Conversion from Ibex to Envision

Hi there.

I am a noob in the controls business, and HVAC in general. We have a bunch of schools running on Ibex connected to modems. I was looking into upgrading and getting them LAN access. I am confused to the difference between Envison for Bactalk and Envision for Ibex. I know this is a really generic question but what would be the best option? My boss is concerned with the work that would go into making the switch as she uses excel macros to do the programming. I found this:

http://www.ddctoolbox.com/Docs/Ibex_...on_Utility.pdf

which apparently would aide in the process of converting. We have about 35 buildings on Ibex. The only benefit I suppose would be the speed at which we connect so if converting is going to be a major headache, it wouldnt be worth it.

Any advice?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    hi!
    i understand that only the new bcm's suport nat. for vlx which doesn't support nat and is behind a nat firewall and no server locally, can i still do remote login? if so, can you give a rough idea of the setup required? thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Ibex are the controllers. They are very old and according to Alerton no longer supported. You will have a herd time finding replacements if you can find them at all. They are not bacnet. Envision for Backtalk is the program for the newer controllers called VLC's. These are bacnet controllers. EBT has a backtalk builder program the is useful for programming a new job.
    ckartson

Post Likes
    EBT 2.5, 2.6, 3.0 are all working no problem on windows 7. 3.0 uses software verification through Alerton. no more key.
    ckartson

Post Likes
    Try running as administrator.
    ckartson

Post Likes
    Also as controls are cool said you must install visio first then EBT or visiologic won't work
    ckartson

Post Likes
    All BCM's can support NAT if you flash up the firmware. VLX can, too.
    Controller must be set up for BACnet IP, appropriate UDP Ports must be forwarded in your router.
    Follow the network setup guide to a T. Or get the local dealer to help you out.

Post Likes
    Best bang for your buck is is to have an Alerton Dealer replace your Alerton Ibex Global Controllers with Alerton BACtalk BCM-Tux global controllers. They will re-write the software to fit the newer global, they you are BACnet based, and communicate via IP.
    Doing this method lets you keep all the existing Ibex controllers you have in the field, saving you big $$ over a complete change-out. Ibex controllers are very robust, and will likely outlive you.
    You will need to update your server to Envision for BACtalk to use the newer global controllers.
    You don't have to do the entire district at once - both front ends will cohabitate nicely with each other on a PC, or you can have them on separate PC's. Or you can cut a deal with your dealer - They give you a price break, you contract them to do the whole district, one school at a time on their schedule, over the course of a few school years (wintertime is a good time to get best rates from DDC Contractors, it's their slowest period)
    Some dealers give you a price break if you have a service agreement with them - it may be worthwhile to pickup a service agreement for 3 years to get the price break, then use a lot of the service hours to train you on their hardware. Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in