Need a new thermostat, confused about adjustable cycle times vs. differential/delay

I need to replace a slightly possessed RobertShaw thermostat for my heat pump. I desire to be able to have some control over how often the unit comes on....I prefer longer cycles because my experience and understanding is that it takes some runtime for the system to reach maximum efficiency. I'm used to setting stage 2 heat to not come on unless satisfaction has not been reach within 30 minutes, as well as setting a 2 degree differential for stage 2. We still are comfortable enough with these settings, but the system doesn't cycle on and off often. It seems that on this forum, Honeywell thermostats are favored, but the sub-$100 models do not seem to have these controls, but they have adjustable cycle rates (CPH). I don't need programmable, and I would rather not spend more than about $50. There are several White Rodgers models that fit the bill, but I don't want to regret not going with Honeywell because of the strong recommendations I've seen lately. My question is, using Honeywell's available CPH settings (on say, a Focus Pro 5000 series), should I be able to achieve similar control that I have now? I have noticed some reviewers and posters frustrated with their Honeywells causing the system to cycle too much, no matter what CPH settings they use. Any votes for just going with a White Rodgers and not worrying about the Honeywell fanboys?

Edit...I just reread my post, and I wasn't clear that our standard/stage 1 differential is set for 2 degrees as well. I've heard that the 5000 series honeywells are set for .5 degree and cannot be changed, result in a lot of On/Off.

91 views and no replies?

Your posting a 'residential' thermostat in the controls section...not many of us deal with residential style thermostats and quite honestly I program my own thermostats on jobs via PLC's, else interface with them via LON/Modbus/other communication protocol...This section really is more commercial building control systems (BMS, BAS, SCADA, DDC).
    You would be better served posting this in the residential section. I'll request this be relocated.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    Your posting a 'residential' thermostat in the controls section...not many of us deal with residential style thermostats and quite honestly I program my own thermostats on jobs via PLC's, else interface with them via LON/Modbus/other communication protocol...This section really is more commercial building control systems (BMS, BAS, SCADA, DDC).
    You would be better served posting this in the residential section. I'll request this be relocated.
    Oh, thank you so much. Sorry about that.